Alienware 17 r3 2016 battery issue

Joshua227

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
I am having an issue with the power, the laptop just suddenly died after a week of use. I unplugged the battery the best I could, it's built in, held the power button then plugged it back in. Now that I hit the power button again the alien head logo on the front is changing colors but that's it.

Solution
Hey everyone,

New to the forums here and wanted to make a post as this is exactly what happened a few days ago to my 17 R3.

It all started with a "Battery not recognized and will not charge" notification at the splash screen. I remember thinking that it was quite strange (I've owned the laptop for a few months) and it simply died about 20 minutes later while browsing the net to look to see if others were having the same issues.

As Joshua pointed out, the alien head was cycling colors but would not turn on. The fans would kick on for a split second and appear to short out.

Anyhow, I ended up calling Dell tech support and tried numerous fix attempts such as the CLRP1 pins reset but no luck. Ended up shipping the laptop in on...
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will still load back onto the Alienware logo, try loading the laptop into BIOS and set its default by pressing F9 once then press F10 to save and exit BIOS.
- And if that will still not work, remove the HDD off the laptop then boot it up and see if it will get pass the Alienware logo and will show an error on a black screen.
- If the laptop will get pass the Alienware logo that means the problem is the HDD but if it will still get stuck on the same logo that means the problem is inside the motherboard.
- If you can open the laptop try to remove the RTC battery (CMOS battery) off the laptop for couple of seconds then put it back in to reset BIOS and see if it will get pass the splash screen.
- If all these will not work do contact Dell for a repair if it's still under the factory warranty.

Phanbuey

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Same thing happened to me... Eventually the button will die and the laptop will become a paper weight.

This is the third catastrophic failure with this machine for me so they are sending me another machine... I really regret buying this.

flyboy22

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

I just had the exact same thing happen to me. Did you figure out a solution?

MoGamerz

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
This isnt hard 2 screws and a small 14 pin or something plug let it phase motherboard power out by holding the power button down for 10-30 secs... (this is with batter and power cord out) replug back in the battery screw in screws and replug powercord and Walla..

My issue is that it still after every test states my battery is good and only cuts off when im in GPU... Hope your is FIxed..

Runding99

Commendable
Jul 30, 2016
Hey everyone,

New to the forums here and wanted to make a post as this is exactly what happened a few days ago to my 17 R3.

It all started with a "Battery not recognized and will not charge" notification at the splash screen. I remember thinking that it was quite strange (I've owned the laptop for a few months) and it simply died about 20 minutes later while browsing the net to look to see if others were having the same issues.

As Joshua pointed out, the alien head was cycling colors but would not turn on. The fans would kick on for a split second and appear to short out.

Anyhow, I ended up calling Dell tech support and tried numerous fix attempts such as the CLRP1 pins reset but no luck. Ended up shipping the laptop in on Wed.

I'll post an update on the progress if I find out anything and hope this is not going to be a widespread issue.

Thanks all and good luck. :)

Solution

MoGamerz

Commendable
Jul 24, 2016
Appreciate the update
i know mines probley a faulty charging battery due to the lack of time it takes for it to die and age,
but the oddness of this so called shut off battery pack guessing to delay the power input for charging and serving the mainboard power is balls LOL

Lets get a REAL soulition as of the searches everyone just seems to get a NEW Machine lol