Solved! Alienware 17 R3 - No Boot, No Post

Nov 11, 2018
Powers on LEDs and fans only showing a black screen and shuts back off after about a minute. I have no clue what is wrong I have tried every button sequence I could find after countless hours of research. Nothing is making any progress.

Solution
If the display is the problem, it is possible that is why it is shutting back down. However if you can't see what is on the display (error, etc.) then you can't know. You can try the following, to see if you can at least see any error messages, however should that not work, I would suggest having the laptop looked at by a tech.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If the display is the problem, it is possible that is why it is shutting back down. However if you can't see what is on the display (error, etc.) then you can't know. You can try the following, to see if you can at least see any error messages, however should that not work, I would suggest having the laptop looked at by a tech.

Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

Solution