Alienware laptop graphics card problem then bsod

Knups718

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
I can play a game for about 30-40 minutes and then a error window will pop up saying:

"The 'Nvidia Geforce GTX 675M' device is not removable and cannot be ejected or unplugged"

After that error comes up I can no longer see my video card listed under Device Manager and Geforce Experience can't see my card either, then about 10 minutes later I will get a bsod. Once the computer starts back up from the bsod, everything will be fine again. I can see my video card and games will run fine until it happens again.

The very first thing I tried was to physically clean the computer out. I opened it up and cleaned out as much dust as I could. I took the fans out and went at them with a cotton swab and cleaned the heat sinks. It was pretty dusty in there so I figured the would of been the problem, but unfortunately it was still happening. Then I went onto making sure all drivers were up to date, even the bios, still happening. So then I went to the last resort, fresh install of Windows 7 with every single last driver installed and updated....still happening.

My biggest fear is that the video card has become physically damaged from heat, but I'm not sure because once these errors started popping up I cleaned it right away...so it never really had a chance to become damaged.

==================================================
Dump File : 102715-29640-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/27/2015 8:31:05 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0e5d7a10
Parameter 3 : fffff800`00b9a3d8
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`16fbc550
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+74200
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.19018 (win7sp1_gdr.150928-1507)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+74200
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\102715-29640-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 737,160
Dump File Time : 10/27/2015 8:32:14 PM
==================================================

The computer is a Alienware Mx17 R4 with a GTX 675m

Hi,

One question though, does it happen even plugged in to it's charger? Please also do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.

- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your PC for all the changes to take effect.
- If all these steps will not work do consider that the graphics card is already faulty.

Knups718

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015

Yes its usually always plugged in and running on high performance power plan. I'll try following your steps and report back.

Killcam_Express

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
Hi, first of all, I'm new to this forum. I stumbled across this thread, and coincidentally I'm having the same issue as you with the same computer and graphics card (Alienware M17x with a Nvidia 675m) as of a week ago. Originally, I was blue screening with a 0x0000016 error. I reset my computer after many failed attempts at fixing it, and now I'm having this issue. Mine will do it anywhere from a minute of game play to about an hour. The card is capable of playing the game as intended up until the crash. I just recently updated to version 358.87 which was released November 4th 2015.

dak47922

Estimable
Nov 8, 2015

Have the exact same problem with my m18x with dual 675m. Started with the bsod and now is crashing to a black screen. Using a screen streaming app on my phone to see underneath the black screen shows the same dialogue box .

Tyler_56

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016

I am having the same problem too. Installed new drivers uninstalled, rollbacks etc

Same graphics card as OP

Alex1942

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
I have exactly the same problem, same computer, same card, same everything.

I've removed all drivers and installed the most recent ones which didn't work. I've removed all those drivers and installed some from early 2015 which also didn't work. I have also experienced many, many bsod.

Some of them off the top of my head were:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
0x9f

And

0x116

Not only this but after receiving the error about ejecting, (if I don't get a BSOD) my laptop fails to shut down and freezes up when on the 'shutting down...' screen. Sometimes when I start my laptop it freezes on welcome.

Tbh I have no clue if these problems are all part of one larger issue or instead numerous issues.

I did read that it may be due to something about the voltage or the the amount of time the graphics card is unresponsive before windows attempts to restart the card.

All the threads I've read had no solution and so I would greatly appreciate some help.

sp0ng3b0t

Prominent
Nov 5, 2017
Had a dell alienware r18x that had this problem with and BSOD - impossible to use, impossible to fix, and since i dont live in USA - impossible to replace. i had to throw a laptop worth 3k$ away like it was trash, because it was. And now i had same shit with dell inspiron where it occasionally drops my nvidia (cannot be ejected or unplugged, and after this graphics card stops working until i restart the pc). If you are reading this, consider never buying dell products as they are extremely unreliable and of bad quality. (2/2 dell laptops i had have problems, none of the asuses or aceres, even the cheap lenovo that i had, had this problem).
You are extremely lucky if u can fix this with drivers(not just graphics) bios flashing or other stuff. Because i havent been able to fix this at all, and all laptop repairs refused to take this up referring to it as "unfixable". One repairs shop took it in, took money for repairs and when i take it back home i get BSOD as soon as i start an application.