Alienware M14X R2 Freeze After BIOS

Aug 12, 2018
I was using my laptop when the internal mouse and keyboard both stopped working. The laptop itself was working fine with external mouse/keyboard until I shut it off.
Now when I turn it on, it goes through the BIOS as normal, but as soon as it's going to start loading anything after that (Windows, recovery, booting USB device) it just freezes and one tap of the power button will shut it off.
I tried disconnecting everything so that I just had the motherboard, RAM and built-in screen, but it made no difference. It still went through the BIOS and then froze immediately. There are no errors or anything.
I'm assuming replacing the motherboard will fix the problem, but I only want to replace stuff that I have to. What's the problem here?

prince_xaine

Prominent
Feb 3, 2018
No, if it was the motherboard you'd probably have issues reaching BIOS (failing POST). I'd say it's probably a HDD issue. Maybe your HDD failed? Try checking BIOS to see if it can see your HDD.

If not the HDD than it could be a bad RAM stick? Maybe try running a Memory Test in BIOS?

Aug 12, 2018

I have tried it with and without an HDD inserted and got the same problem. I ran the diagnostics tool built into the system, and it said the RAM and HDD were good. When I took the RAM out, the computer didn't boot at all even into BIOS.