Alienware M17x won't boot

topazoo

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Today I was trying to revert my Alienware's bios back to the A04 bios to remove the downclocking functionality on the gpu. After I reverted the bios, I changed some of the settings in the bios, mainly the gpu throttle temp (which I thought it wouldn't have) and made a few other tweaks which i don't remember. After it restarted, the display lit up but only gives me a black screen. I can hear the fans begin to start, but the stop and restart every second, after a few seconds I can hear a clicking noise after the fans start each time. I removed the computer and system batteries and held the power button for 30 seconds before rebooting but it didn't help, I've also tried to blind flash the bios but to no avail (though I'm not sure the flashdrive I'm using will work for a blind flash, or if I'm doing it right). Does anyone know what's wrong or have anything I can try?

Recap of Symptoms

- Black Screen
- Fans start and stop
- Clicking noise

Sidenote: If I hold end while booting the laptop fans work normally but I still get a black screen.

Ashir

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Can you connect it to a TV or external monitor?, if so, try starting connected to one of those.

If you have normal video then you mess up with the settings to the poing you can't see anythin on the laptop screen. If you still don't have video then try to reflash the same bios you flash before. BUT, before you do this, contact Alienware's support, by phone, mail, forum, etc.

topazoo

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

I tried connecting it to an external monitor with an HDMI cable and VGA cable with no results. I'm not sure how to reflash the bios without being able to see the screen. I followed the blind flash instructions here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/601701-bios-recovery-case-you-brick-your-m17x-r3.html but it didn't seem like my computer was reading my flash drive, and nothing happened.