Alienware M17XR3 580M not working in Skyrim

LilDeamon

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
My friend just got a new Alienware M17XR3 laptop which seemed to work fine until we tried to launch Skyrim. The game is extremely laggy at medium to high and MSI Afterburner reports 'power save' levels of core clock from the GTX 580M. http://gyazo.com/9c92acfc784786da8a24bc83d279eb81
Whenever I try to change the GPU manually I get the 'error' message 'Your graphics solution is automatically configured for optimal performance'.

The GPU successfully reaches 620 MHz in Minecraft, the only other game we have tried. So it seems to be Skyrim causing the problem.

Any possible solutions?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would recommend configuring the system to force the use of 580M and disable the Intel GPU when gaming. Has then been tried?

Skyrim will certainly play on this platform. If this a newer Alienware, it will have an i7 CPU (plenty of horsepower). My daughter plays Skyrim on a Macbook Pro 13" with a dual core C2D CPU, 4GB memory, and a much less capable GPU than the 580M and it is quite smooth at medium settings.

LilDeamon

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Forcing it is what I would like to do, she has it constantly plugged in anyway so there isn't really a need for the power saving Intel graphics. I have checked the BIOS but it is extremely limited and there appears to be no options for forcing the GPU.

I am clueless on how to do it any other way. D:

LilDeamon

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Pressing FN+F7 displays the following message: 'Your graphics solution is automatically configured for optimal performance' and there appears to be no change.

rustyfe2o3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
I had a problem with my r3 the clock was stuck at the lowest setting. I think i needed to use the dell/alienware drivers to fix it.

try using gpu-z to see what your gpu is doing while playing skyrim

LilDeamon

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I've used MSI Afterburner and the core clock doesn't step up to 620 like it does in other games, it's constantly running in desktop mode. Which drivers are these?

rustyfe2o3

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
drivers are from the dell website. but I have a 6970m, and I don't have skyrim. I just remember having the same problem with one of my other games after installing the latest drivers from amd.