Alienware New Hard Drive Issues

dkoppinger2

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015
I have an Alienware M14X laptop and recently got the disk read error occurred messaged. So I purchased a new hard drive and installed it into the laptop. I then went through the whole procedure of putting an OS in and booting up the CD drive before the hard drive. I went through the whole intro for the new OS and then waited for windows to load. When it got done downloading the sign in screen that popped up was zoomed in and appeared to be in safe mode, but it wasn't in safe mode. I figured I might as well log in and see what I can do. I log in and everything appears to work normally, (even though the screen is similar to a safe mode screen) except that my laptop can't find a network to sign into the internet. The wireless connection isn't detecting my router and when I hook up an Ethernet cable directly to the computer from the modem it still doesn't recognize any network. This is my first time ever replacing a hard drive so I'm confused and can't find anything on how to fix this issue. I don't know if I did something wrong in the whole booting up process or what. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

dkoppinger2

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015

Ok, so I went into my device manager and found that under other devices I have a few things with the yellow warning symbol. The Ethernet controller, network controller, PCI device, PCI simple communications controller, SM Bus Controller, and then two unknown devices all have this symbol.
My issue now is that I'm not exactly sure which driver or drivers I should download. I was thinking about just downloading the ones labeled driver in the Modem/Communications or Network files in the link you provided but I'm not sure if I should just start downloading those or not.

dkoppinger2

Estimable
Sep 5, 2015

Nevermind on my follow up question. I figured it out and was able to get my wifi to start working and fixed the screen issue which was just the resolution. Thank you for your help and leading me to what I had to do to fix my problem.