All game lag (Probably software)

Michalis Krdm

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Hello everyone!

The during the last month I've been experiencing some lag in all games.

When I use one instance of a game, the lag is almost unnoticeable, but when I launch a second instance of the same game, it becomes severe.

I thought it was caused by a private mod in this game, but I reset my operating system to its factory status (using AlienRespawn) resetting all files and progress made since I bought it, but the issue persists.

-My lag is not constant but recurring.
-The duration of it and time without it always change.

I have an Alienware M17X R4 Gaming Laptop with:
-Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @2.30GHz (4 real and 4 virtual processors)
-2x 4.00 GB RAM DDR3
-500 GB Hard Disk with about 50% free space most of the time
GPUs:
-Intel HD Graphics 4000 (I think it's the main GPU)
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

When it comes to what games I play, I am mostly playing Lineage 2 on the latest client updates which is a pretty heavy game but not on a scale to make me lag that hard.
My secondary game is League of Legends, which uses a lighter client and almost never lags.

My Processes tab usually looks like this when I'm gaming (usually without chrome):
tskmngr.jpg

I haven't checked my CPU's temperature, even though I should.
Even when I'm running 2 instances of the same game, my RAM usage hardly exceeds 50%, while my CPU reaches up to 80%.
But still, I feel like it is not a hardware problem, but a software one.

Is there anyone who can help me with this ? I am the type of person that posts a post like this only as a last resort, and I'm really tired of it.
Thanks for your time.

Solution

Mciahel

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

First off never try to run two of the same game at the same time. They don't play well together.

Second temps are important when on a laptop because if it gets too hot it will lag A LOT. So check those temps.

Third I doubt its software it sounds like a hardware issue, and by that I mean over heating.

So check those temps using http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ then come back here and tell us the max temps you get while in game.

:^)

Solution

Michalis Krdm

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

It is a game that requires using 2 or more instances in order to do the job. Either from having a character sitting somewhere just being online to having a character following you giving you Buff (online game boosts). So, this is kind of impossible.

About the temperature, I'll have that checked ASAP and update you with any information I receive.

Michalis Krdm

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Indeed, the problem is the temperature.

expert's voice: I manually installed this Bathroom Shelf Basket upside-down turning it into a stunt for my laptop.
Bask.jpg

Before: My temperature was 90 - 95 running 1 instance, and 94-100 running 2 instances.
Now: My temperature is moving within the range of 90 and 94 degrees.

Problem temporary solved until I purchase a normal stunt with cooling fans.

Thanks again.

Mciahel

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

No problem. I have an Alienware Laptop too so I could make a guess and say you were having cooling issues. Also get the fans cleaned. My temps went from 96C to 60C