All Rounder Headphones

ProfessorBadger

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Hi All,

Im looking for a new set of headphones for pretty much everything. Music, tv/film, ipod and of course gaming.

I recently purchased the HyperX cloud II's but the sound card created a popping sound and there is a strange background fuzz sound which irritates me. Regardless, I returned these.
(I guess I was distracted by the virtual 7.1 surround and relatively low price, this is all new to me :) )

Anyways, I have a snowball mic now so will use that for communicating in games, but want a good set of headphones.

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD 598, 558 as well as the momentum range (love the look of the momentum)

Was hoping for any views and thoughts on these.

(As background, mobo on pc is Z97-A)

Solution
ALL open headphones will leak noise. this is why they are called open because they allow sound waves to exit instead of reverberating inside. this is why open headphones generally have large soundstages but poor bass response compared to closed designs.

closed designs are sound isolating since they do not allow the soundwaves to escape. this design often has a much smaller soundstage but much greater bass output as well.

how bad to open headphones leak? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h98XY1und0A
anyone near you will be able to hear what you are listening to even at average volumes and you will be able to hear much of what goes around near you as well. any any distance greater than 5-8 feet or so unless you have the volume cranked up...
D

Deleted member 217926

I own the HD 598s and they sound amazing. I have them paired with an Asus Xonar Essence STX 90 soundcard and my PC sounds almost as good as my home stereo. You will want a good soundcard or dedicated headphone amp to really experience what they are capable of though.

depends on what you're looking for.

the audiotechnica ad700x and ad900x have an absolutely huge soundstage and great clarity however have almost no bass presence at all. this makes them excellent for people who are extremely competitive in fps games though not good for people looking for fun factor or movies unless you prefer almost no bass. no amplifier needed.

the audiotechnica athm50 is a closed set of headphones so doesnt have a large soundstage which makes it not as big of a choice for gaming but has good sound quality and clarity and excellent bass response. i personally own a pair and i've found that they perform well if you are okay with a closed design with limited soundstage and are built like tanks though definitely not up to all the hype people claim. no amplifier needed.

the sennheiser hd598 has a bit more bass while not quite as much soundstage. they are still rather bass light but many people find them acceptable unless they prefer heavier bass. no amplifier needed.

the sennheiser hd558 are cheaper and as such do not quite have the sound quality of the above however do have more bass presence and a slightly smaller soundstage. no amplifier needed.

the beyerdynamic dt770pro are similar to the audiotechnica athm50 but slightly better sounding, with a slightly bigger soundstage and with a higher pricetag. the 32 ohm version requires no amplifier, the others it is suggested.

the beyerdynamic dt990pro 250 combines the best of all worlds with a good soundstage since they are open, good clarity and quality, and suprisingly good bass despite being open cans. the catch is that they are at the more expensive side at $200ish and will require the use of an amplifier since the cheaper version is the pro which only comes in 250ohm.

the beyerdynamic dt880 is a mix between the 770 and 990 with a neutral sound but other than that doesnt stand out.

the sennheiser hd600 and similar models also score good reviews but are rather expensive.

--

i would suggest a forum search for "ssddx headphone" to pull up some other threads i have answered on this matter (or a google search for tomshardware ssddx headphone headset" which does the same) since i've gone over the facts in much greater detail than i've done here in the past.

generally onboard is good enough for most headphones and its only worth buying a soundcard if you find issues with your sound quality using onboard but it is true that good quality souncards can be an improvement. whether or not it is important depends on your hardware quality and if you're much of an audiophile. certain model headphones though do require the use of a more powerful amplifier than is typical which i noted above and can explain in more detail if you lean that way.

ProfessorBadger

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
AH thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated,

I'm liking the look of the 598, I'd like there to be bass but not such that it causes my head to vibrate. So I guess the 598 and 558 are up there as far as the list goes.

Are there any other properties I should know of when looking for headphones? (I suppose one I keep seeing is sound leakage)

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
You should be aware some headphones will need an amp, such as the dt990 pro, or dt770 250 ohm. The Sennheisers need a small amp to help fill out the bass due to an impedance spike. What exactly is your budget for the setup?

D

Deleted member 217926

I got my HD 598s for a little less than $200 USD on sale and my soundcard was about the same. Soundcard has a built in headphone amp.

Soundcard:

http://www.asus.com/us/Essence_HiFi_Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/

ProfessorBadger

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Hmmm im not really sure what to go for.

Reading up, it seems the sennheisers leak a lot of noise, something I would like to avoid. And the beyer 770dt seem to have a problem occuring with rattling (perhaps im reading to much into it).

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

The HD598 are completely open and will leak a good amount of noise. Anyone else in the room with you will hear what you are listening to. In general, if you are worried about bugging people nearby, open headphones are not an option.

For closed headphones, the AKG K550, and the DT770 250 are good choices. I owned both the DT770 80ohm and 250ohm and neither had issue with rattling drivers. The DT770 is a bass heavy can though, and I would suggest the 32ohm or 250ohm, depending on if you want to spend money on an amplifier.

The AKG K550 is a neutral can, but has some fit issues for smaller heads. Both are around 120 on amazon.uk. It also does not require an amp.

ALL open headphones will leak noise. this is why they are called open because they allow sound waves to exit instead of reverberating inside. this is why open headphones generally have large soundstages but poor bass response compared to closed designs.

closed designs are sound isolating since they do not allow the soundwaves to escape. this design often has a much smaller soundstage but much greater bass output as well.

how bad to open headphones leak? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h98XY1und0A
anyone near you will be able to hear what you are listening to even at average volumes and you will be able to hear much of what goes around near you as well. any any distance greater than 5-8 feet or so unless you have the volume cranked up you likely will not hear much of anything and certainly not through walls and doors.

you CAN still hear what is being played on closed headphones as well however it is much more muffled and limited unless listening at very high volumes due to the noise isolation properties of a closed design.

open headphones are generally fine unless you need to sit right next to someone or if you are trying to block out outside noise in which case they will not work as intended. typically its a choice you need to make depending on if sound leak is an issue or not and also what kind of sound profile you enjoy more: open & bass light or isolating & bass heavier.

--

personally i own a pair of ath-m50's which are a bassy pair of closed headphones. note that i say bassy and not bass-cannons as there is a difference. the dt770 would be in the same class. bassy headphones offer more bass response than typical while still having clean sound output while bass cannons offer bass response at the detriment of all else. i like the deeper and warm sound they offer and due to the kind of music i listen and preference to have a fair bass presence they work out well for me. the fact that they are closed works for me since i can use them at work without disturbing anyone and i ignore the fact that they have limited soundstage since i know this is due to the closed design of the headphones which i require for the other reasons above.

--

generally the hd558 or hd598 are a good pair of cans to start with if you want moderate bass levels that can be heard but not really felt. it isnt enough to really bring out the depth of music such as dubstep since they cannot hit sub-bass levels like other closed cans can but you can certainly listen to bass heavy music and enjoy it if you like something with some bass but not anything overpowering. adding an amplifier as suggested above can certainly give them a little more push on bass if you find them a bit light normally.

--

another thing to consider is headphone size and if you have glasses or not. people with large ears or who wear glasses may want to make certain choices which fit around that aspect. i know the beyers work out excellent for people with large ears and who wear glasses but some smaller cans like the m50's i own myself arent ideal for glasses or people who have larger than average ears.

--

the most important things to consider in one big list are:

-the sound profile you enjoy (do you want bass light, treble high? bass heavy treble light?)
-what kind of music you listen to (which is an extension to the above)
-what other purposes the headphones are for and how important those tasks are (such as competitive gaming which is best on bass light headphones with wide soundstages)
-if you will use them around people (is sound leakage a problem?)
-how much soundstage matters to you (which will influence open vs closed design choice)
-comfort (do you wear glasses, have large ears or have a large head?)
-amp (do you feel comfortable buying an amplifier and running extra equipment?)
-price (are they in budget)

edit:

generally i've heard akg sets tend towards bass light though since he owns a pair he may be able to better highlight what they sound like in comparision.

Solution

ProfessorBadger

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
I see, good to know :).

The AT M50X are available at £100, looks very promising as I do like the design, and specifications you've described.

If I were to answer your questions, they would be this,

-the sound profile - I'm not looking for bass heavy, but would like some amount of bass.

-music - Pretty much everything, I like particular tracks of musicians rather than stick to a band or genre.

-other purposes - General gaming, not overly competitve.

-around people - would like to go outside with them, on travel etc.

-soundstage - not sure what this is to be honest with you :p. I used a £10 neckband headphone for 5 years, so I cant compare to anything.

-comfort - no glasses, average ears.

-amp - would rather not buy an amp.

-price - up to £160 say.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
If you are going to be using them as a portable headphone that kind of limits your options.

creative aurvana live 2!
ath-m50x
AKG k545
Sony Mdr-1r

I haven't heard any of these variations, but are all recommended on head-fi for being over-ear portable headphones that are fairly comfortable.

there is a difference between the "ath-m50" (and m50s) i mentioned and the "ath-m50x" which you mention.

the first and most important is the price. the m50 can be had for about $100-120 here in the states while the m50x goes for about $160-170. the price for the m50 makes it very desireable and it certainly shines at that price point however the price of the m50x puts it near dt770 territory and honestly the beyers are better set of cans for that kind of money. NOTE: it seems that in the UK this is not the case so you can ignore this aspect.

the second is design. generally the two sound very similar with the m50x having a tiny bit of improvement but nothing worth noting. the m50x instead of having an attached cable includes 3 different design removeable cables you can pick from and use. personally i dont think this is worth the extra price but i suppose it may help in certain scenarios.

i should likely mention that i paid full retail price (about $160) instead of the lower price they go for online and that i'm still happy with my selection. i'm only listing that the dt770 should at least be considered if the price is about the same as the m50x not trying to feel bad about my own choice in hindsight. i'm 100% happy with my choice as they have suited my needs fine and despite being years old have held up well (you can see a photo of my 4-5 year old m50s if you look at my build photos in my signature link)

--

as far as your sound profile and requirements are concerned...

the hd558, hd598 and dt990 are great if a bit of sound leak isnt an issue. other than your request for no amp (dt990) or needing to use them around people (all) they fit your requests to a T.

the dt770 and m50x may have a little too much bass for your liking but honestly its hard to say without you having some basis for comparision to judge by. they will isolate you better and not leak as much sound though.

i dont think the ad700x or akgs are going to be good for you since you wanted a bit of bass.

--

i just looked at some amazon.co.uk prices:

dt990pro 250 -- 115gbp
dt770pro -- 115gbp
hd598 -- 154gbp
hd558 -- 119gbp
ath-m50x -- 100gbp

seeing as how the dt990 is cheaper than the 598 (equal in price to the 558 and just a little more than the m50x) would really swing me towards them as they are a stellar choice. great soundstage, comfortable fit, good sound quality and pretty decent bass for an open pair of cans.

the only caveats are that they absolutely need an amplifier (you said you'd prefer if you didnt need one.. though a soundcard CAN be your amp if you dont take these on the go. if you wanted to be on the go then you'd need a portable amp). the other is that some find them a bit sharp on highs though not sibilant. you can adjust the eq settings to equalize this a bit if you find this true though and this is not a huge factor in my opinion.

it is purely my opinion after looking at those prices (unless you have found a better price source) but i thought i'd call that out.

if you did not want an amp at all then the 558 or 598 are likely your go to sources but the price on the 598 is quite high and doesnt make much sense.

-----

edit:

full size headphones can be used "portable" as well.

the m50s (which are nice because they fold up.. but thats not really a big deal most of the time...) i've traveled with quite often to other locations and work great on planes, cars, hotels, workplaces and just about anywhere. the cables are a bit long but can be managed easily enough. i like the noise isolating properties of the m50 in these situations but again, that depends on your exact circumstances and requirements.

full size headphones arent lightweight which means you WILL know you have something on your head so i wouldnt try to go jogging, biking or walking down the street with them (though you could walk with them if you really wanted to) but for any sort of stationary travel a full size set works fine.

D

Deleted member 217926

My 598s aren't bass heavy by any means but my god that soundstage is incredible. It's almost better than being there live. I get as much detail out of them as I do with my Klipsch RF 82 IIs.

ProfessorBadger

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Thanks for extra info guys.

I feel its between the 598 and M50x (Not really looking to add a soundcard/amp to be honest). But in saying that, I dislike the idea of the open phones as I would like to travel with them, so I suppose I'll go with the M50X.

Are there any periphals or software recommended for these (excluding an amp)?

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014

The M50x is much more portable and a good headphone. Only thing I would recommend is trying out the HM5 earpads or shure srh840 earpads for a cheap comfort upgrade.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1424444004&sr=8-2&keywords=hm5+pads

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Cushions-HPAEC840-Shure-Headphones/dp/B00A8MLJ50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424444208&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+srh840+pads