All Zunes to be Discontinued, Zune HD to be 'It'

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Hmmm the real news in this article for the iPod users was
The news echoes rumors that Apple is gearing up to move away from the iPod Classic and focus on the iPod Touch as the main iPod. Time will tell as Apple has an iPod event scheduled for next Wednesday, September 9.
I disagree with that decision, the Apple touch may have more bells n whistles but when it comes to playing music, the iPod classic can't be beat. It has 120GB of space vs. 16 & 32GB and has longer battery life.

gam3r4321

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
so what if your zune breaks and you have to send it in. do you think they will give you a discount on the new version or will they keep all of the old refurbished models to pass out and just discontinue them in stores?

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Interesting...I've been set on buying a Zune HD since the first previews trickled out, but if the 80 or 120 is offered at a great price I might get that instead, as i imagine many others will.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]32 gigs isn't enough for music and you're supposed to put video on it too?I'm talking to you too itouch/iphone[/citation]
32gigs isn't enough for music? What are you doing using uncompressed wav PCM lossless 32gigs is a ton of music 192kbp/s AAC ABR plenty of quality and room and roughly 47 hours of music play back you telling me you have more then 47 hours of music? well then choose your top 47hours and go from there, although as videos go it's very limited.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]maigo[/nom]32 gigs isn't enough for music and you're supposed to put video on it too?I'm talking to you too itouch/iphone[/citation]

I have the original iPod w/ 40 GB and have never come close to filling it with all of my music.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]esquire468[/nom]I have the original iPod w/ 40 GB and have never come close to filling it with all of my music.[/citation]

Ya, well they advertise the Zune HD as being able to play 720p video from the device. Each movie would be around 3-5GB at least for 5Mbps video. That should still last you a short vacation if you have long flights.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Some people just want like 1tb on their music/video players and use it more like load it all on there once and never have to hook it up to a computer again.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pender21[/nom]Ya, well they advertise the Zune HD as being able to play 720p video from the device. Each movie would be around 3-5GB at least for 5Mbps video. That should still last you a short vacation if you have long flights.[/citation]
I don't think the Zune Screen supports 720, just from an output to the TV.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]Most people (probably 80%) have only 2-10 GBs of music anyway[/citation]
Yes, most people.

People who are really into music are more likely to have large music collections and encode their music at higher bit rates, or possibly into lossless formats which can be in excess of 1mbit/second. Even rates of 256kbps or 312kbps will eat away memory quickly.

Personally, I have 60.5GiB of music on my computer and a 30GB Zune. Trust me, it is annoying trying to add/remove large portions of music at a time and decide what part of your collection you want to have on there for the next few days.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mr_tuel[/nom]Most people (probably 80%) have only 2-10 GBs of music anyway[/citation]

Most people (probably 100%) have only 2-10 GB of legally bought music anyway...

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
It will be funny if Apple discontinues the classic, then Archos will be the only company producing high capacity players, hell they are about to launch one with a 500 GB hard drive and it runs Android, it is going to be sick.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Definately. I have 26 GB of music, audio books (Harry Potter 1-7), and podcasts. Add in my video collection at 600-700kbps and even the largest capacities available today are too small for it all.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]...and even the largest capacities available today are too small for it all.[/citation]

Exactly, I fail to see the point of having to hook a player up to a computer every week just to load it with different music. That is a downgrade from the days of CD's when you could carry a good deal of stuff with you in a car or whatever. When the first 256 MB players came out I scoffed at it as worthless, and walked off with my MP3 CD player and 3-4 discs of MP3's. That was far more music to choose from without hassle of pluging it in every two seconds.

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
@32 GB ... this is the range where the flash based players became interesting to me. Next year should easily see these densities double ... of course waiting til next year would suck lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.