Amazon Apologizes for Big Brother Moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Even if it seems like its just a move to please the disgruntled masses have to give them some credit. Its the first time I have honestly seen a company not only accept the criticism, apologize, and criticize itself.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Wow! I must say this is the best statement I have seen by a company that actually takes the blame for its actions and does not try and dance around it with statements that neither confirm nor deny what everyone knows they did. If it makes a difference or not who knows, but at least they acknowledge the stupidity of their actions.

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Someone is clearly trying to cover their ass on this one. The remote deletion should never have been done. I think it was good to respond as they did to the situation and apoligize, etc. If the books were
sold illegally, than so be it. Just don't allow it to happen again.

Those who received the e-books obviously paid for them, and should have been able to keep them, as they would if they had bought a physical paper or hardback version. If anything, those who had them removed should be either refunded in full so they can purchase a paper or hardback version themselves, or be provided with the paper or hardback version shipped free of charge to satisfy the status quo for those who want it.

Oh well, such is life. This is one of many reasons why I deal with paper or hardback books, not versions requiring an electronic device to read, unless the book is on a CD or DVD, therefore incapable of being deleted. That is just my opinion though and you know what they say about opinions. :)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Kudos to this CEO! He should mentor other corporate CEO's on how to communicate an apology to their customer base. It reminded me of the KISS principle that I learned in math class in grade 9 - Keep It Simple Stupid! Simplicity is where it's at! Good for you Jeff Bezos!

G

Eh, when it comes to CEOs and politicians, apologies mean nothing. Their just words. Some kind of restitution would speak much more loudly.

G

Who controls the past controls the future.

Who controls the present controls the past.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Real apologies have three parts, admission of guilt, saying your sorry and making amends to those affected. Gift cards, a patch removing drm, free copies of 1984 courtesy of amazon are some options. People want to know your sorry because too many people in our lives Jerk us around, say they are sorry when confronted and then Jerk us around the next chance they get.

grumpysonne

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
It was a fantastic apology. However, the fact remains that books can be remotely deleted from your Kindle without notice or permission. I am a LOT less likely to get a Kindle after this fiasco.

Status
Not open for further replies.