Amazon Assistant - Possible Security/Privacy Issue?

Aug 21, 2018
I just received a notice from Amazon asking me to allow Amazon Assistant. This is the reason they've given me for the purpose of this request. Is this anything like Google's action on tracking customer location(s)?

Personal Information
We use information collected from Amazon Assistant to operate, provide, and improve Amazon Assistant and Amazon's marketing, products, and services (including for business analytics and fraud detection). To supplement our Privacy Notice, here's a description of the types of personal information Amazon Assistant processes:
1. Information We Collect Automatically: Amazon Assistant automatically collects and processes information about websites you view where we may have relevant product or service recommendations. We do not connect that information with your Amazon account, except when you interact with Amazon Assistant as described in "Information We Collect When You Interact with Amazon Assistant" below. This information is used to operate, provide, and improve Amazon Assistant's comparison features and Amazon's marketing, products, and services (including for business analytics and fraud detection). For example, we collect and process the URL, page metadata, and limited page content of the website you are visiting to find a comparable Amazon product or service for you, along with general information about your browser and OS. Amazon shares this information with Amazon.com, Inc. and subsidiaries that Amazon.com, Inc. controls and that are either subject to the Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in the Privacy Notice.
2. Information We Collect When You Interact with Amazon Assistant: When you interact with Amazon Assistant, we connect browsing information related to that interaction with your Amazon account. In these cases, Amazon Assistant acts as an extension of the Amazon shopping experience and processes your personal information in accordance with the Privacy Notice. For example, you may interact with Amazon Assistant's icon, notification features, or any of Amazon Assistant's product comparison features to explore and compare the product or service you are viewing on a website to Amazon's products and services. In these cases, we will collect and process browsing information related to the Amazon Assistant features you are interacting with (including information on the website you visited, the product or service compared, your Amazon account, and your search query).
What Choices Do I Have?
You can control collection of "Information We Collect When You Interact with Amazon Assistant" by disabling the relevant Amazon Assistant features in your Amazon Assistant settings. You can also control collection of "Information We Collect Automatically" by disabling the Configure Comparison Settings.

Do you recommend doing this?

Solution
I assume you are using some sort of voice assistant? That is totally your call. If you use the internet, you are tracked. The world we live in is powered by data and that means things are tracked. You agree to the same terms for other services like Facebook, iTunes, Chrome, Cortana, Windows, Mac OSX, Edge, Twitter etc etc. Voice assistants and web programs need to interpret your voice and listen for commands, therefore it must always be listening. I personally do not like voice assistants because I can find what I need faster and I do not want it talking at night.

googlyeyedchicken

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I assume you are using some sort of voice assistant? That is totally your call. If you use the internet, you are tracked. The world we live in is powered by data and that means things are tracked. You agree to the same terms for other services like Facebook, iTunes, Chrome, Cortana, Windows, Mac OSX, Edge, Twitter etc etc. Voice assistants and web programs need to interpret your voice and listen for commands, therefore it must always be listening. I personally do not like voice assistants because I can find what I need faster and I do not want it talking at night.

Solution