Amazon Caves to Pressure, Pulls Pedophile Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham006

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Amazon caves to pressure sounds like a negative.

How about: Amazon does the right thing... pulls pedophile book.

Unless TomsHardware is run by a bunch of pedofiles is this news a good thing.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Who would want to be caught reading that. Better have a good excuse ready.

Distasteful ...but Amazon shouldn't censor its books

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Interesting case, and I wonder if this is the first time someone has tried to sell a book that helps a criminal get away with it. On the other hand, in the description it did say he also "by establishing certian rules for these adults to follow. " So that should be a good thing. No?

Also how has the writer gathered such experience in this matters?

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
They should remove all the dialogues of Plato. After all, for example in the Theaetetus pedophilia is briefly touched as something positive due to the way teacher-student and officer-soldier relationships worked in Ancient Greece.

I don't deny that the book is disgusting. Pedophilia is disgusting. But censorship? That outright makes me sick.

So, before my comment gets voted down:

Freedom of speech is the most important liberty we have as human beings. No matter how much we might disagree, object and fight an idea good or bad, everyone has a right to voice it's mind. No matter how insane, criminal or stupid that idea might be.

That's why we can argue, retort and discuss instead of finding a big stick to make people shut up about things we don't want to hear about.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
I understand why people would dislike the book, and I certainly would never buy it, but, as Joseph Henry Jackson once said, "Did you ever hear anyone say, 'That work had better be banned because I might read it and it might be very damaging to me?'"

angelraiter

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]They should remove all the dialogues of Plato. After all, for example in the Theaetetus pedophilia is briefly touched as something positive due to the way teacher-student and officer-soldier relationships worked in Ancient Greece.I don't deny that the book is disgusting. Pedophilia is disgusting. But censorship? That outright makes me sick.So, before my comment gets voted down:Freedom of speech is the most important liberty we have as human beings. No matter how much we might disagree, object and fight an idea good or bad, everyone has a right to voice it's mind. No matter how insane, criminal or stupid that idea might be.That's why we can argue, retort and discuss instead of finding a big stick to make people shut up about things we don't want to hear about.[/citation]

Seriously?? You think it's right for someone to invoke the 1st when writing a book on this subject, or better yet, when buying one???

I agree we must protect our rights, but allowing a book, a guide to pedophilia, to circulate (or be published for that matter) is just too much! I mean, people who search for that stuff on the internet get arrested, but a guy who writes a book on it calling it a guide to love and pleasure is walking around freely??

Pedophilia is probably the most horrible thing we have on earth right now, don't think the 1st was thought up to defend this!

quotes

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]AngelRaiter[/nom]Seriously?? You think it's right for someone to invoke the 1st when writing a book on this subject, or better yet, when buying one???I agree we must protect our rights, but allowing a book, a guide to pedophilia, to circulate (or be published for that matter) is just too much! I mean, people who search for that stuff on the internet get arrested, but a guy who writes a book on it calling it a guide to love and pleasure is walking around freely??Pedophilia is probably the most horrible thing we have on earth right now, don't think the 1st was thought up to defend this![/citation]
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

rionaam

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
[citation][nom]JWHancock[/nom]Sounds like something from the South Park episode with NAMBLA.[/citation]
Well, I surely would buy the book if it were about the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes association, but this one seems like it would offend the Sexual Harassment Panda, so I'd better not.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I wouldnt buy the book, and i would look kindly upon those who did, but i think its worse to remove something because we feel its socially improper to have out and about, start with one and you fall down that slippery slope quickly, in a few months someone will tell them to remove 1984 because it talks about communism.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hmmm... I'll stay out of this one. On the one hand, censorship is wrong. On the other hand, that description was pretty f'ed up and creepy.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
This is great advertising for that book, and what better way to make people want something than to deny it from them. There are people who will buy it just to see what all the fuss is about, and now Amazon has lost those sales, as well as all the others that will result from people simply being aware of the book's existence.

I wonder how many terrorist guidebooks and holocaust denial books they still sell. How many religious book bashing gays and denouncing people who disagree? If they're going to carry things like that, they may as well carry this.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Disgusting book. I agree with Amazon's decision to remove it. While government censorship is bad, a private company's decision whether to sell a book is completely within its rights to determine. Let the author find some other way of distributing it (if he can).

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
The majority of people including myself disagree with this books premise and content. Should it be banned... no. Is it being banned... no.

Amazon has a right to choose what they wish to sell. If they choose not to sell this book then so be it. The book is not banned and those who really want a copy will just find another way to obtain one.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
A lot of people have gone out of their way to stop censorship and book banning in public libraries and what not but haven't seen what the consequences might be. This indeed would be one of them.

I'm not quite sure how to feel about this. On one hand I think pedophiles should go to jail and on another hand I think censorship is wrong.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I've written dozens of reviews and replied to even more on Amazon as a long term member. Amazon has no problem deleting posts it deems "offensive" which are not so (usually they are political in nature or reference a competitor's selling price). So for Amazon to say they promote "free speech" is disingenuous at best, and a flat out LIE at worst.

With that said, pedophiles are one of the worst diseases of human nature. If I ever catch one with one of my kids, I'll kill him. Easy as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.