Amazon Consdering a Book Rental Library Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
Umm the library is free, has real books you can hold in your hands, is free, has no so called late fees (seriously what library has late fees? Mine just starts nagging me more and more until they call it lost and make me pay for the book), and oh yeah did I mention it is FREE (besides a few of your precious tax dollars)!!!!! Plus when you start getting into university libraries you start to find old limited print relics that you'd never find online.

G

I used to be a librarian. This is very, very, very, very, sad. But, yes, I would consider it.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
If was an author, I would tell google to go take a flying F.

I would not want 1 license of my book being floated between all the internet users of the world while google made a buck off of this advertising.

G

"Amazon Consdering a Book Rental Library Service" . . . and what has happened to spell-check ???

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I could see this working, maybe price it to match Netflix at 7.99 a month for unlimited books but only one downloaded at a time, then tack on say another dollar for each additional book you want out at the same time. Vast majority probably only get through one at most two a month but the convenience of not having to go to the library would be worth it for a lot of people.

wallaw

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Absolutely! I just bought 3 books on Abebook last night because they were all checked out with a waiting list at my large metropolitan library.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pawessum16[/nom]Umm the library is free, has real books you can hold in your hands, is free, has no so called late fees (seriously what library has late fees? Mine just starts nagging me more and more until they call it lost and make me pay for the book), and oh yeah did I mention it is FREE (besides a few of your precious tax dollars)!!!!! Plus when you start getting into university libraries you start to find old limited print relics that you'd never find online.[/citation]

my library has late fees, somewhere along the lines of 10 cents a day, after 2 weeks. and as for university libraries... that's only for people who go to collage.

[citation][nom]formerlibrarianifyoumustknow2[/nom]Dewey Decimal Rocks . . . but RIP. . . . . . . . .[/citation]

no it doesn't. its a helpful way to sort books in the real world, ill give it that, but no one really is able to think "i want an art book that is XXX.XX" off the top of their head, they go over to the computer and search for art book, and find the numbers, and than go from there.

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]If was an author, I would tell google to go take a flying F.I would not want 1 license of my book being floated between all the internet users of the world while google made a buck off of this advertising.[/citation]

google makes about 3$ per 1000 people on average. the number is more or less depending on who is paying for the advertising and where they want the advertising. and as an author, you get very little right to complain as it stands. be happy that you get to write for a living and people actually want to read what you write.

[citation][nom]cohetedor[/nom]I could see this working, maybe price it to match Netflix at 7.99 a month for unlimited books but only one downloaded at a time, then tack on say another dollar for each additional book you want out at the same time. Vast majority probably only get through one at most two a month but the convenience of not having to go to the library would be worth it for a lot of people.[/citation]

parents plow through books in 2-3 days. but average person, yea, 1 a month at best. now, at 1 a month, its cheaper to buy the books outright than to rent them like that.

Oneironaut

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Earlier this year Amazon announced that you would be able to rent ebooks from libraries in the same way that epub e-readers already can. I hope this isn't what they were referring to. Paying for it kind of defeats the point.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that want to be mired in the past. Email replaced letters. MP3s replaced CDs. Cell phones replaced land lines. Online news replaced newspapers. And yes, eBooks will supplant books.

Don't get me wrong, I've got almost a thousand books at home and love the ability to curl up on the couch with a good book. That said, this is a rather practical matter. eBooks are cheaper to deliver to a customer and there aren't physical space limitations like normal books.

Want to make and deliver a million print books? You need a factory to print them, a warehouse to store them, a shipping company to deliver them, and stores to hold them. A million eBooks? Just a file on a server and online store.

So let's all get up to speed, leave print books to rare signed and/or limited editions and move into the 21st century already.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]xyriin[/nom]It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that want to be mired in the past. Email replaced letters. MP3s replaced CDs. Cell phones replaced land lines. Online news replaced newspapers. And yes, eBooks will supplant books.Don't get me wrong, I've got almost a thousand books at home and love the ability to curl up on the couch with a good book. That said, this is a rather practical matter. eBooks are cheaper to deliver to a customer and there aren't physical space limitations like normal books.Want to make and deliver a million print books? You need a factory to print them, a warehouse to store them, a shipping company to deliver them, and stores to hold them. A million eBooks? Just a file on a server and online store.So let's all get up to speed, leave print books to rare signed and/or limited editions and move into the 21st century already.[/citation]

Dumbest comment of the week so far. The main point here is they are trying to charge for things that have always been more or less free. Library card costs you a buck and you can check out as many books as you want, (i've only tried 8 at a time) and the late fees are like 5-10 cents a day.

But I'm supposed to embrace paying a monthly fee just so I can "move into the 21st century"? GTFOH with that mess.

G

I've been waiting for someone to come out with something like this for awhile. Yes, I know library exists, but what are local library has is limited and the one or two copies of books I really want to read are often checked out. As for checking out e-books from the library. The waiting list for almost any e-book you can check out is months. I put my name in the queue on several e-books a couple of months ago and so far only one has come available to read.

So, this is something I would pay for. Especially when there is talk that it would be wrapped up with Amazon prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.