Amazon: Kindle Outsold Everything in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought the kindle DX as launch for my wife being that she is a huge book reader and we live in a small condo the books she amassed over took my collection of PC parts. The kindle is every small house holds book dilemma it is compact and can hold thousands of books and is amazing to read from.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I'm waiting on the e-readers as well. Mostly because I am afraid of buying a bunch of digital books which may not be supported or available on products and networks 5 years from now. At least with music we have a semi-universal and safe format of MP3 but I don't think that exists for digital books yet. From my point of view, the whole episode with Amazon remotely deleting 1984 from peoples devices proves to me that you don't fully own the rights to the files.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
When they say " it's flying off the shelves faster than any other product Amazon sells" do they mean products that amazon manufactures or all products in their warehouse?With the ammount of sold out deals they had leading up to the thanksgiving weekend they must have kept stock levels real low(Like Arkham Asylum on PC,damn that sold so fast).I dont beleive that the kindle outsold evrey other deal they had there, they had some damn good deals,I picked up Tales of Symphonia:Dawn of the new World for free when they droppped the price due to the $10 credit i got when i pre ordered new Super Mario Bros Wii,with free shipping too, crazy stuff.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
While I have a few ebooks, they are all older books that I want to reread. I looked up a new book, and it was $29.99 for the ebook. Its the same damn price for the hard cover.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
LOL Am I the only person who never heard of the Kindle before today? Technically yesterday, when someone on my Facebook said how they wanted one.

Seriously though, are we so enthralled with technology now that we can't use a real book? Last time I checked, paperbacks didn't need recharged or plugged in, and they don't become obsolete when Amazon starts selling some new version.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Just got one myself, and while I haven't played with it much, I do like the amount of free and low price content available, and the display is more readable than I had guessed. Amazon has got a pretty good early lead on all competitors, so if I had to handicap the race I would bet on their format to emerge as the de facto standard. It will be nice not to have as many books cluttering up the house, and I can probably feed my daughter's voracious reading appetite a bit more cheaply now (and yes, we do go to the library...). Consider me an optimistic user...

michaelzehr

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I was at B&N today and heard several people asking about the Nook. Not only do you have to wait for January for one that you buy now, but the store isn't going to get there demo Nook until January. Yes they have valuable sign space in the store taken up by ads for the Nook. I suspect someone is going to have a miserable January when the "what went wrong" internal meetings take place. Meanwhile the Kindle gets to increase its lead.

G

Forget the e-reader thing, I am waiting to see if the whole reading thing takes off.

G

I got a Kindle for a Christmas gift last year. At the time, I wasn't sure if I would ever use it. As it turns out, it's one of the best gifts I've ever received in my life. I use it everyday. I have manuals stored on it that I use at work in addition to regular books. Most of the classics are available for free so I've had fun re-reading some and reading some classics for the first time. I also use it to listen to audio books from audible.com. It's a great little device to have if your a reader. If you're not then it's not for you though because that is really the only use for it. It does have a built in web browser but it's like surfing the web on a mobile phone only with no color.

Noobster15

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I personally would not buy a kindle

But i love the fact so many people are buying it, just for the reason that it saves paper, who knows maybe in the not so distant future books will be E-Reader only?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
You can count me as one of the billions of people who didn't purchase one. I don't make a habit of reading in the dark, my books are inherently portable (they are books), and I don't fancy reading more than one book at a time. Not going to berate people for buying it but I hope they at least did the math and found it to be a cost-savings endeavor. Math didn't work out well for me. I would have to buy about triple the amount of books per year I currently buy just to break even over 3 years. Not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.