Amazon Kindle Tablet Handled, Previewed by TechCrunch

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm glad they are not replacing the e-ink Kindle with this and sincerely hope they have no intentions to do so in the future.

While some may consider a color, true LCD screen an improvement, when it comes to being a book reader, that screen is actually a downgrade. The Kindle's e-ink screen is practically like reading a book, and does the job very well.

hereone

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Nook Color Android-based tablet/eReader from Barnes & Noble has been on the market for over a year and sold millions of units at $250. Gives Flash, apps, videos, color magazines and ebooks with video inserts, and the best anti-glare coated screen on the market. Technology "leader" Amazon is finally catching up with the book store company by copying their device.

hereone

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Nook Color Android-based tablet/eReader from Barnes & Noble has been on the market for over a year and sold millions of units at $250. Gives Flash, apps, videos, color magazines and ebooks with video inserts, and the best anti-glare coated screen on the market. Technology "leader" Amazon is finally catching up with the book store company by copying their device.

megoogler

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

G

The fact is, no one outside of Amazon knows how many e-ink Kindles have been sold, because they have not trumpeted their sales numbers.

G

Yup, I have a Nook Color running full Android and it's a perfect low-cost tablet. Amazon is very late to this game, and it sounds like they're not showing up with appreciably more than the Nook.

megascott

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Click on the image, its really an RIM playboook...LOL

"http://media.bestofmicro.com/RIM-PlayBook,Z-O-263076-3.jpg"

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
When they have a color e-ink reader, I'll consider replacing my Kindle3. I have no need for a tablet and plenty of need for an e-reader.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]megascott[/nom]Click on the image, its really an RIM playboook...LOL"http://media.bestofmicro.com/RIM-PlayBook,Z-O-263076-3.jpg"[/citation]

If you're not trolling, you should read this quote from the article: "Running Android, the device has a 7-inch capacitive touchscreen and resembles the BlackBerry PlayBook (pictured)."

G

What about the DX? Doesn't that device start to look awfully expensive once this Android device ships? I, for one, would like to see a Kindle DX at $250 or less. The options for ebook readers that can effectively and trivially render technical books well are few and far between.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]davidthewatson[/nom]What about the DX? Doesn't that device start to look awfully expensive once this Android device ships? I, for one, would like to see a Kindle DX at $250 or less. The options for ebook readers that can effectively and trivially render technical books well are few and far between.[/citation]
I had this same question. Does the technology of the e-ink that the Kindle's use make it expensive? I don't know and it would be nice if that question was answered.

However, when the ad supported Kindles were introduced, Tom's had an article where someone saw the small price break as a test to see if sales increased enough to where the Kindles would come down greatly in price. I can easily see where the DX might become the standard Kindle and with ad support could be well under $100.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]03flat4[/nom]$250, very competitive, even if the specs aren't that great![/citation]

In spec department, it is still on par with iPad. (those who don't know a thing about computer and computer science would attack me, I know).

megascott

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]If you're not trolling, you should read this quote from the article: "Running Android, the device has a 7-inch capacitive touchscreen and resembles the BlackBerry PlayBook (pictured)."[/citation]

I was stuck on the opening paragraph talking about Samsung products?...all while viewing a picture of a RIM playbook...I don't think Amazon has catching up to do...they've been left behind in the dust of many others.

IMHO Leaving out the Android store is a huge marketing mistake..

G

@megascott

why? There will be an android app store, it's just going be policed by Amazon, more or less the same approach as Apple, considering that this device may well be heavily subsidized by Amazon i think they are allowed some say on what goes on the thing, if it works out who knows the price may come down further if Amazon can get better revenue streams from selling android apps

what Amazon can add to this equation that the others can't is the eco-system, Amazon can offer a complete eco-system that comes close to rivaling Apples, in fact they have a more diverse eco-system, id imagine if the sales of this device drives the sales of other commodities on Amazon then it can also help drive the cost of this device down too, factor in the fact that Amazons cloud service is an industry standard and you can see how Amazon might actually pull off what others have failed to do, compete against Apple's iPad

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
All that for $250 is an exceptional deal. Plus it doesn't have what the low-tier tablets do; a fully supported device backed by a major corporation.

Status
Not open for further replies.