Amazon Offers $30 or Redelivery of 1984

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
"Nineteen-Eighty-Four" by George Orwell should be pre-installed on all e-readers and mandatory reading material for all high school students. None should be able to get high school diploma without finishing the novel and write an essay about it.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
What a rare apology. Really laying it all on the line there. Few companies today take that much blame. I might start shopping there again.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]"Nineteen-Eighty-Four" by George Orwell should be pre-installed on all e-readers and mandatory reading material for all high school students. None should be able to get high school diploma without finishing the novel and write an essay about it.[/citation]

That's the very last thing Obama wants.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]What a rare apology. Really laying it all on the line there. Few companies today take that much blame. I might start shopping there again.[/citation]

Huray for doublethink.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]"Nineteen-Eighty-Four" by George Orwell should be pre-installed on all e-readers and mandatory reading material for all high school students. None should be able to get high school diploma without finishing the novel and write an essay about it.[/citation]
along with "Brave new world".

I can just agree. The books they made us read in high school here were so damn dull and crappy!! And worst of all, filled with child molesting criminals...

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Isn't Nineteen Eight Four less than $30? So couldn't you just take the $30 and then buy it again and still have money left over?

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Anyone else wonder why Amazon keeps the annotations you make?[/citation]
I could see this being a useful feature if your device needed to be replaced for whatever reason, but still something which raises an eyebrow.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I want to see how the students lawsuit turns out, its going to set a precedent one way or the other. And I bet they just removed the kindles ability to read the file and didnt actually delete it from the kindle, hence the annotations should be saved on the kindle not by amazon, less creepy that way.

G

Hellwig: It's part of our big brother society, corporations call it "compliance", but to make a long story short, nothing gets deleted, ever... When you delete something online, there must be 3 copies of it in 3 different cities, or the CEO gets waterboarded. True story.

Of course, the Amazon customer service desk doesn't have access to it if you need it, it's only for big brother and executive management and any 3rd party data mining companies that it's sold to.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever"

-George Orwell "1984"

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
a wake up call to all you e-books buying folks.
i say no way for me never ever will i own a device like this.

i own over a 1,000 bokoks and pulp magazines that is right i got over 150 vintage 1930 - 1940 era pulps.

what are you going to get out of your digital files ????

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I disagree...

Any Novel that contains in the description "A Story" is fictional and really is wasting valuable time to learn facts. Rent the movie @ home on your own time.

""The story follows the life of one seemingly insignificant man, Winston Smith, a civil servant assigned the task of perpetuating the regime's propaganda by falsifying records and political literature. Smith grows disillusioned with his meagre existence and so begins a rebellion against the system that leads to his arrest and torture.""

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
people, just don't get devices that allow wireless access on them... that way nobody can delete anything that you already own...
No kindle-like ereader for me...

Greg_77

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Anyone else wonder why Amazon keeps the annotations you make?[/citation]

They are stored on the Kindle itself, not Amazon servers. The Kindle simply re-inputs the notes onto the book.

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
...how this will **affect** the lawsuit, not effect. Pitiful. Just Pitiful.

As for grieve eschewing all fiction in favor of "renting the movie" - well, where do I begin to comment on such a jaw-dropping suggestion? I'll just say that life is much more rich when one is broadly educated. Anyone who shuns fiction will miss fully half of the humor, insight, and wisdom of the ages that is alluded-to in everyday life. Even more sad, the victims of such a plan aren't equipped even to realize that they have "missed the joke" or "missed the life lesson", because it will fly right over their burger-flipping heads; they become the very citizens that "1984" describes.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The problem with 1984 is that some human spirits are just downright stupid and those will always let out some important information that we, according to them, are not supposed to know. So, yes, it is an important read, but all in all let's not be so alarmist. Like Einstein said: "There are two infinite things: the universe and human stupidity. But I'm still unsure about the first."

Status
Not open for further replies.