Amazon Panics and Slashes Price of the Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I'd still rather have a tablet or netbook for the extra functionality. I doubt dedicated e-readers will stick around much longer past the rise of tablets into the mainstream.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
as soon as the readers are no more expensive than say twice the price of a hardback I, might be interested. As it is now forgetting a $200 item, plus all the books you've downloaded on accident in a public place seems a high price to pay.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Yeesh - I'll think about it when they're under $100 and the books are significantly cheaper than their print counterparts.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Tablet revolution? Didn't Microsoft try to spark that some 6-7 years ago? Tablets have one issue, and that's a backlit screen. I know my eyes suffer from working in front of a computer all day. If I want to sit back and relax, I need a neutral surface to stare at (i.e. a book, or the e-ink readers like Kindle and Nook). That e-ink almost looks like a real book page. Stare at a back-lit screen, and you know the image is "synthetic".

Still, I don't see a big market for these e-readers. Its a dedicated device (the web browser on the Nook is gimmicky at best). They're too expensive (still), and too feature-limited to appeal to a broad range of people. Still, my wife loves downloading books on the fly to her Nook, and being able to take her entire library with her, and no, she doesn't have an iPad/iPod/iPhone/Tablet/etc.

G

I'll be buying one for my wife. She really likes the idea. Unlike many people who bash these devices, she understands that owning one of these and owning books aren't mutually exclusive. She is planning on keeping all of her hardcovers and collections, and then get everything else on e-reader. We will save a lot of space in our home just by getting rid of a large portion of her 4000 paperbacks. That's a big win for us.

If you are one of those people who believes a tablet can compete with e-ink technology, please take the time to check one of these devices out in person. When the intended function is reading books, there is simply no comparison. E-ink is better.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]Yeesh - I'll think about it when they're under $100 and the books are significantly cheaper than their print counterparts.[/citation]

I think that says it all...

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]one trick ponies never last the long haul[/citation]
What a foolish position to assert. Products that do one thing, and do it very well, are the most successful. It's when you try and make a coffee maker that also slices cheese, plays DVD's, and irons clothes, that you end up with a device that does many things, but does none of them well.

G

agreed wotan31. the kindle is a specific solution and its implemented well. I have no interest in endless ipads, idoors or whatever is next.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
No, not yet. As some have said, it is still at a higher price point than I am willing to pay. The device type interests me as I am an avid reader, but my sense of value says it needs to be much (MUCH) lower.

In Canada we have the new Kobo eReader from Chapters/Indigo at $149 CDN. Below $100 is a must for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.