Amazon Relents: Kindle Fire Browses Android Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I don't get what's up with this Kindle Fire BS. It's a locked down POS that reminds me of the way Apple deals with their iOS devices and yet everyone is crazy about it... why not get a tablet that actually can support full Android functionality (i.e. Android Market) instead of this thing?!

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I don't get what's up with this Kindle Fire BS. It's a locked down POS that reminds me of the way Apple deals with their iOS devices and yet everyone is crazy about it... why not get a tablet that actually can support full Android functionality (i.e. Android Market) instead of this thing?![/citation]

True there's as cheap alternatives but people are lazy and don't want to research other alternatives. Instead they just complain.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I don't get what's up with this Kindle Fire BS. It's a locked down POS that reminds me of the way Apple deals with their iOS devices and yet everyone is crazy about it... why not get a tablet that actually can support full Android functionality (i.e. Android Market) instead of this thing?![/citation]

Absolutely right.
As far as I am concerned Amazon can keep this thing.
I will not have some company tell me what I can and can not browse, install or uninstall.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
why not get a tablet that actually can support full Android functionality (i.e. Android Market) instead of this thing?!

The thing is that a tablet with the specs of the Kindle Fire would cost a lot more than the 200 bucks Amazon charges for their tablet. At least Amazon made a smart move by charging the manufacturing price for the tablet. You can root the Kindle Fire --video here:

http://youtu.be/ksY-Iy2QDR8

On another note, the people buying the Kindle Fire are quite similar to iCrippled users in that
they are clueless about technology and think they can't read Kindle books in any android tablet.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Hey guys, before bringing on the hate, consider the fact that Amazon is losing money on each kindle fire they sell. They are probably hoping that people will buy enough from their appstore to make up the difference. If people buy from the android market, they don't make any money.

hoppius

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Oh well, you can always root your device. So you pay 200 bucks and get full android functionality. My Kindle fire has the market app installed and works like a charm.

cybneo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
The KF serves its purpose: a cheap tablet to consume media... that's all it is. Perfect gift for non teckie people. Why would i spend more than $200+ on a tablet for a gift if the user will only use netflix and internet...some older people just want to mash icons and watch movies without a PC/laptop...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Hey guys, before bringing on the hate, consider the fact that Amazon is losing money on each kindle fire they sell. They are probably hoping that people will buy enough from their appstore to make up the difference.

They are not making money from selling Kindle Fires directly, but they are making money from selling ebooks and other digital media. I think that jailing users backfires in the long run, and if Amazon desires to remain competitive it should promote open standards. I for one stopped buy mp3 files from them because they wanted to force me a la iCrapple into putting my mp3 files on their cloud. I am not dumb enough for that strategy to work with me. So stopped buying from them. I still buy books, but they are so expensive and there are very few classics in e-format. If publishing houses lowered the prices of e-books to just a few dollars, they would make alot more money. Some publishing houses charge something like 50 dollars for an e-book. Go figure.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Well, at least they seem to have a better hindsight than the other closed iOS system...[/citation]
This
I am sure Amazon wants their device to be a content provider from their website, which is why they initially locked things out. However, they are probably starting to realize that their device is losing some appeal, and upsetting some of their current Fire users because of the closed ecosystem of the device. One thing I can attest to though, Amazon knows that if you make your customers happy, they will continue to support you. I have had no less than 3 problems with purchases made on Amazon recently, non of which was really their fault, and all three of which Amazon handled directly, and graciously. Already have a Touchpad so I won't be buying a Kindle Fire myself, but Amazon is a company I will continue to do business with because they have always worked hard to do right by me.

hrrmph

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Some problems with my Kindle Fire:

1. Using the Silk browser, I cannot use Hotmail with Hotmail secure-mode (HTTPS mode) turned on. To see Hotmail on the KF, you have to go to a PC and turn HTTPS mode off in the Hotmail settings, then the KF can see Hotmail. This is something that I am unwilling to do.

2. Using the Silk browser, I cannot play Silverlight video, so if I stumble across a website using Silverlight video, I cannot see it.

3. Using the Silk browser, I cannot just type a word like 'mozilla' and have the browser auto-magically take me to the website. Firefox will do this (although you may have to change a setting under the hood) and this is my main reason for using FireFox.

4. I cannot install Firefox.

5. I cannot install Roboform password manager (Although Lastpass is available for those who use that passwoord manager).

6. I cannot install MS Word.

7. I cannot install MS Excel.

8. I cannot install Acrobat Pro.

As far as the last 3 go, I expected that (still, I miss them). I am surprised at the other limitations though, especially on the browser.

The customer service has been excellent. I downloaded a song that did not make it into my Cloud Drive (I probably had the settings wrong). I emailed them about it. Instead of telling me how to fix it, they just put the song in there and quietly made the necessary changes. Then they sent me an email telling me that my song was ready. I downloaded another song and it went to the Cloud Drive just the way it should.

At least when it comes to selling stuff at a reasonable price with good service, they know what they are doing.

-

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
No MS Word, no Excel... and you just lost all business users. Hello Amazon... business users have more MONEY to spend than game kiddies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I don't get what's up with this Kindle Fire BS. It's a locked down POS that reminds me of the way Apple deals with their iOS devices and yet everyone is crazy about it... why not get a tablet that actually can support full Android functionality (i.e. Android Market) instead of this thing?![/citation]
600$ or 200$
its not like apple because they are selling it under cost and makeing the money back through what you buy from them

its damn good for its price, while the ipad is what you expect for its price so it can only really disappointing, and it has to me in some aspects.

and other android tablets... you are really looking close to if not more than an ipad for something good. with fire, its cheap to the point you couldn't build a brand new computer for the same price.

G

I have been side loading apps (no root needed) since the first week I brought the Fire. I side loaded Opera Mobile, Dolphin HD, UCWEB browsers and stopped using the Silk browser. They work fast and fine.
I am sure there are ways to get word and excel to work. Some people have no skills. I side loaded Quickoffice Pro, Lookout, Friendcaster Pro. All of these apps from four shared. I downloaded webroot virus protection first from the amazon app store, then hit four shared. I replaced webroot with lookout.

Have you notice that the Fire is getting Apple type hate?

The update helped and improved the performance. But I suggest you buy a Targus Sytlus.

G

"the Kindle Fire isn't on Google's list"

completely untrue, i have managed to link a Google account to my kindle fire, Android market clearly shows up kindle fire in my device list (root required and an installation of Android Market)

i had received the 6.2.1 update, but mine was rather strange, i lost root (i rooted using superoneclick), but Android Market and GoLauncher is still in tact, though i did lose my alternate keyboard (GBoard), i had use super manager to move as many apps to the data/app directory rather than the system/app (i could not utilize GBoard as an alternate keyboard unless it was in system/app) so that might have been my saving grace

alcalde

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Absolutely right.As far as I am concerned Amazon can keep this thing.I will not have some company tell me what I can and can not browse, install or uninstall.[/citation]

If you'll run Windows 8 or run OS X, iOS, or some Android devices you do indeed. Linux is going to be the last refuge left soon for people who want to actually control what they do with their device.

G

so I bought a kindle fire and had to move out of the country right after receiving it..well turns out amazon blocks you from downloading anything at all when outside of the USA! I tried using hotspot shield to cloak my ip and then connectify.me to use my laptop as a wifi access point forectify the kindle but connectify routes the traffic directly from my mobile internet dongle to the wifi card thus bypassing the hotspot shield software running so it still sees that i'm in Europe.

how can I get around this? is there a different program that will force connectify to use the ip shield?

I rooted my kindle but still there is no way to instal any apps I download from the net. I can download the app, then transfer by cable to my kindle but I can not open them on my kindle because I can not download the file explorer from Amazon. I have to have a file program like astro file manager to install apps I download externally...
I've seen an interesting video about this here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kindle-Fire-Reviews/286968834679702 , but I want to hear other's opinion too.

any help?

thx

Status
Not open for further replies.