Amazon Wins Right to Call App Store 'Appstore'

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwpritchett

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Let's put a spin on Apple's thought process:

I'm going to start up a grocery store chain and call it "Grocery Store" and trademark the name. I will then sue anybody who attempts to use the term "Grocery Store". I will argue that people are too stupid to know that other grocery stores aren't my "Grocery Store". I will also argue that my store is the only one that sells "Groceries".

App store is too generic Apple. Sorry.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I can agree to a decent point as well, with addition maybe. Like saying that then if its an App Store differing from another then apparently then of course then isnt much different of whats at the App store but where it is. So why find yourself in a place trying to find something at say your App store for the sack of being at an App store? Even though you are probably likely to find something you would normal get though, right? But even then maybe as well not so? Not so close but not so far off though either. I dont really use an App store or Grocery store honestly.

nathanmiller

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
The copyright wars that are ramping up are going to be increasingly ridiculous. Apple does a great job of creating products, but if they spend more time trying to make money off of legal injunctions, this hardly seems like a good step.

Same goes for any other company. "App store" worthy of a suit? Give me a break.

G

Next thing you know, they will start suing iran and iraq for having i in its name...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Amazon didn;t "win". All that happened is that a judge said they don;t have to stop using the name until the court case is heard. Apple wanted them to stop using the name until after the case is settled.

What I'm wondering is this: Blackberry has App World, Google has the Market, Windows Phone has the Marketplace and Apple has App Store. So Amazon couldn't pick a unique name like all the other companies did and instead decided to use the same name as Apple?

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Amazon should counter sue apple legal fee's, and profit loss. IMO i think apple knew they wouldn't win, I think apple just did it to slow progress and get the competitive edge.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Apple so scared of competition... Lawsuits against Amazon for using "App Store" and then the lawsuits against Samsung... who pretty much is a supplier for Apple

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Amazon didn;t "win". All that happened is that a judge said they don;t have to stop using the name until the court case is heard. Apple wanted them to stop using the name until after the case is settled.What I'm wondering is this: Blackberry has App World, Google has the Market, Windows Phone has the Marketplace and Apple has App Store. So Amazon couldn't pick a unique name like all the other companies did and instead decided to use the same name as Apple?[/citation]

They don't have to go unique if they don't want to. Its too generic of a name, no one should own it.

G

A cursory reading of the court order will show that the court did not find the term app store to be generic, as the story above indicates.
And just as @ericburnby accurately pointed out, Amazon didn't win anything more than the right to continue using the name until the court issues a final decision.

What the court was ruling on was a peliminary injunction filed by Apple. It was simply a request that the court enjoin, or prevent, Amazon from using the term AppStore until the case is heard and ruled upon.

The burden of proof is pretty high for what Apple was requesting, and because the outcome wasn't clear, the court denied the request to prevent Amazon from using the name.

The case will continue precisely because the term AppStore is not generic, as declared by the court. Apple still has a chance at winning this lawsuit. It is a long shot, but there is case law to support their position, and judging from Apple's attitude toward there intellectual property, they won't give this one up easily.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Apple still has to prove they have a legal claim to "App Store"....which they really can't. They hold no legal copyright or trademark on "App Store" to my knowledge....which is among the legal requirements to prove copyright or trademark infringement.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Apple said at the time that attempts to contact Apple regarding its use of the term did not result in a "substantive response."

Wait, i just realized why they never got an answer this way: Infinite Loop.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]Let's put a spin on Apple's thought process:I'm going to start up a grocery store chain and call it "Grocery Store" and trademark the name. I will then sue anybody who attempts to use the term "Grocery Store". I will argue that people are too stupid to know that other grocery stores aren't my "Grocery Store". I will also argue that my store is the only one that sells "Groceries".App store is too generic Apple. Sorry.[/citation]

LOL AWESOME

thaile4ever

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
[citation][nom]rwpritchett[/nom]Let's put a spin on Apple's thought process:I'm going to start up a grocery store chain and call it "Grocery Store" and trademark the name. I will then sue anybody who attempts to use the term "Grocery Store". I will argue that people are too stupid to know that other grocery stores aren't my "Grocery Store". I will also argue that my store is the only one that sells "Groceries".App store is too generic Apple. Sorry.[/citation]

Sorry but your logic fails in that "Grocery Store" has prior use and too generic which would prevent Apple from Trademarking it. Before Apple launched it's App store how many existed? Zero. There was no such store using that name before. Apples not suing Amazon for selling Apps, but for using it's name.

A more accurate example would be you going and opening a store called rwpritchett store that sells X. Then a someone else in town opens their own store and calls it rwpritchett store also that sells the same thing. I hope even you can see how some people could be confused and think that they are the same store.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thaile4ever[/nom]A more accurate example would be you going and opening a store called rwpritchett store that sells X. Then a someone else in town opens their own store and calls it rwpritchett store also that sells the same thing. I hope even you can see how some people could be confused and think that they are the same store.[/citation]

The previous example was far more accurate then yours since both stores sells Apps and both have that part in their name. Not something unique like your professionally named rwpritchett that sells app. Thats would have been a trademark. App however is not, hopefully you know that apps existed long before apple took that (like so much else but that is off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.