Amazon's Bezos Salary Frozen, Unchanged Since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
If you know that you can do good work and if you really care about your company and it's employs and shareholders you do what he does. If you are getting tired, bored, or don't do as good job now as you where doing in the past you write a huge paycheck to yourself and just wait for the right time to sell the company.

I was reading an article about the CEO in a Japanese airport if i remember correctly who also was getting a low salary, was eating with his employes in the same restaurant and was going to work with the bus.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
1.6 Billion in security costs while on business travel?? WTF??? Did he pay for the R&D on his own personal robocop or something?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]@tical - I don't think they mean the 1.6B is for security, I think that 1.6B includes security.[/citation]
Then its just flat out compensation and should be included in his salary... in which case he earned a lot more than 88k...........

Honestly this article does not make any sense. Either he was compensated with an additional 1.6B or he wasn't. Maybe its a typo, but if its not then this story is moronic.

G

The fire is amazing. We just got one, it is one of the best tablets/handhelds I've ever used.

G

Bezos is mainly compensated in the delicious tears of his failed competition.

leroythered

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Then its just flat out compensation and should be included in his salary... in which case he earned a lot more than 88k...........Honestly this article does not make any sense. Either he was compensated with an additional 1.6B or he wasn't. Maybe its a typo, but if its not then this story is moronic.[/citation]

The $1.6B figure cited in the article is a typo. The additional compensation was actually $1.6million. See page 20 of the SEC filing: http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1018724/000119312512161671/d329339ddef14a.htm

The filing includes the following footnote regarding the $1.6million: "Represents the approximate aggregate incremental cost to Amazon.com of security arrangements for Mr. Bezos in addition to security arrangements provided at business facilities and for business travel. We believe that all Company-incurred security costs are reasonable and necessary and for the Company’s benefit."

Bezos isn't suffering, though. In 2010 he sold around $800mil worth of his stock. Source: http://www.secform4.com/insider-trading/1043298.htm

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Seriously!

This article and the commenters are making him out to be some sort of 'good guy', when in reality, he is just avoiding taxes. As a main shareholder, he would be wise to minimize salaries (including his own) as that would minimize tax and just take the compensation from the stock.

Isn't capital gains in the area of 20%ish, where salaray at that level would be 35+%ish?

But then again, didn't Steve Jobs have a salary of a dollar?

targetdrone

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Seriously!This article and the commenters are making him out to be some sort of 'good guy', when in reality, he is just avoiding taxes. As a main shareholder, he would be wise to minimize salaries (including his own) as that would minimize tax and just take the compensation from the stock.Isn't capital gains in the area of 20%ish, where salaray at that level would be 35+%ish?But then again, didn't Steve Jobs have a salary of a dollar?[/citation]

You're right, unearned income(invenstmetns and what not) is taxed at a lower rate than earned income, i.e your slave wage jobs.To make it "fair" do away with income tax and put inplace a consumption tax. ;)

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Seriously!This article and the commenters are making him out to be some sort of 'good guy', when in reality, he is just avoiding taxes. As a main shareholder, he would be wise to minimize salaries (including his own) as that would minimize tax and just take the compensation from the stock.Isn't capital gains in the area of 20%ish, where salaray at that level would be 35+%ish?But then again, didn't Steve Jobs have a salary of a dollar?[/citation]

He'll pay his income taxes when he sells his shares, for now, his money is reinvested into the company which gives him incentive to keep performing.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]Salary in CEO, or any top exec it almost meaningless. Almost all the cash is in stock options and bonuses. I'd take a 1$ a year salary also if they'll give me 50 mil a year in stock.[/citation]
Especially since you can then get that wonderful 15% capital gains rate.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]He'll pay his income taxes when he sells his shares, for now, his money is reinvested into the company which gives him incentive to keep performing.[/citation]
That's not actually true. As others have mentioned, when he sells the stock he gets taxed for capital gains not income. Of course this is only for stock that he already owns, if he is given additional stock as compensation then that is a different story.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008

Salary is something in your pocket that doesn't lose value. It is secured. If you put it in a bank with good interest you can expect a little something more. Stocks on the other hand is not something secured. One day you are rich, the next day you are not.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Meaningless, to me, is the key word in this article. All CEO's who get compensated with stock would likely be held in slightly higher regard by the general public if they were to give up "ordinary" compensation such as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.