AMD 7650M - Broken?

ahmhdy

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
I have Probook 4540s with AMD 7650M installed. Once, I tried to apply cleaning liquid to laptop and used a toothbrush to clean it up. After assembly back I got the following symptoms:

1- When powering on, Power LED turns on with black screen then I hear the ventilation fans runs at maximum speed then it powers off in just 3 seconds.
2- CAPS Lock no more blinking for probable hardware issues like in service manual.

I disassembled the laptop tens of times for a probable mistakes in connections but in vain.

I decided to take a deeper look into it and I noticed this in the AMD GPU:

amd.jpg

In the lower left corner, I see the transistor not found. Is it broken? Is the problem I'm facing is related to this? Can I replace the GPU simply?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in identifying the issue.
- First is to connect an external monitor in your laptop and see if you'll get any display from it when you turn it on.
- If you'll get a display on the external monitor you may need to open the laptop again and check the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard if it's seated properly. Take both ends off the LCD and motherboard then put it back in.
- But if there's still no display on the external display that could only mean that the GPU is faulty.
- Did you apply a new thermal paste onto the GPU and CPU when after you cleaned it up?
- If your laptop is still under the factory warranty do contact HP for a repair.