AMD Drivers and Windows 7 Updates refuse to work together

hikari16

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
So I'm having a really odd problem. I think a lot of others have had it in the past, but no matter what solution I followed it doesn't seem to get fixed or maybe I'm just missing something.

System Manufacturer: Alienware M17x R4
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.24A10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs), ~ 2.70GHz
Memory: 16GB (16384MB RAM)
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

First Graphics Card
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Second Graphics Card
Name: AMD Radeon HD 7970M

(Sorry if I left anything out)

I can't get my AMD display drivers working after Windows 7 update.

If I install the AMD drivers and Catalyst from AMD's website (version 14.9), windows will freeze at the "Starting Windows" when I restart.

If I install the drivers from dell's website, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor.

If I let windows 7 update install the driver, it freezes while trying to install the driver, and after I restart because it froze, it will just hang at "Starting Windows" screen forever but not frozen.

After all those the Intel graphics card would stop working, so I would have to uninstall the AMD and the Intel drivers, then reinstall the intel display driver just to get the intel graphics card back working. I did do a fresh install of windows, the problem consists even after doing that. I tried changing enableulps from '1' to '0' in regedit, still not working. When booting in save mode it stops at amdkmpfd.sys (even without the graphics card installed), but it will continue to enter safe mode. At one point I tried replacing the amdkmpfd.sys files and it didn't do the trick either. As long as I don't have the amd graphics card/display drivers installed, the laptop will start up normally. If I do a fresh install of windows and install all my drivers without the windows 7 updates, both graphic cards will work and the laptop will run as normal, but after I install the windows 7 updates I get frozen at "Starting Windows" screen during the restart.

Honestly, after googling and trying stuff for a week and a half, I don't know what to do anymore. I even tried replacing the hard drives and still the same problem. It seems a lot of people are having problems with amd drivers version 14.9.

Solution
Apparently the AMD drivers will work if the intel driver isn't installed (with windows 7 updates), and vice versa (Intel drivers will work when the AMD driver isn't installed).

I somehow got it to start windows with both of them installed, but the AMD card/driver has this error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

hikari16

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014

The work together before the windows 7 updates on a fresh install, but afterwards the updates they stop working.

hikari16

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014

I will try this after my class, and reply back if it works or not.

hikari16

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
Apparently the AMD drivers will work if the intel driver isn't installed (with windows 7 updates), and vice versa (Intel drivers will work when the AMD driver isn't installed).

I somehow got it to start windows with both of them installed, but the AMD card/driver has this error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

Solution