Amd II x2 555 BE Core Unlocking Questions/Problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

prognosis

Distinguished
May 14, 2011
Alright, I am trying to unlock an AMD II x2 Phenom 555 Black Edition on a Asus M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 Motherboard. I am using the stock CPU heatsink/fan. I used the switch on the motherboard to unlock the cores but it didn't get passed the Windows 7 start up screen (black screen, windows flag). I was just gonna give up but I remembered hearing you could try and unlock just one of the two cores. So I went into the Bios and tried to unlock just one core but it stopped at the start up screen again. I tried this on both cores (3rd and 4th). But this is where I feel it gets confusing. I then shut off the Second Core and turned just the Third core on and it start up just fine. CPU-Z was showing that it has 2 cores on and it was running at the normal 3.2 GHz and also showing that it's a AMD II X4 B55 Deneb.

Now my question is, does this mean that the unlocked cores are potentially working but maybe I don't have something set up right to run more than two cores at a time?

Dolph_USMC

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H with an AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE, along with Corsair PC2-6400 (400MHz) BE memory as well. This setup has allowed me to overclock my processor to 4219 MHz, my HT Link to 2611 MHZ, and my memory to 1066 MHz (DRAM frequency in CPU-Z 535.7 MHz). I am using an Antec case with a 180mm fan on top, as well as two 120mm fans in the front, two in the back and one on the side! I'm also using a HUGE Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler with two 12cm VR fans. I have not had to manually increase any of my voltages, they are "auto" running, and my CPU voltage is at 1.480 in CPU-Z. I've never had any issues booting into Windows, unless I try to manually lower my DRAM timings too low.

dariomatori

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello, I've got also AMD phenom II 555 x2, and i don't know to use bios(to unlock 3rd core, cuz i need it now, Black ops 2 isn't working properly), i've read ur forum messages, tryed to do that and my screen was black couldn't turn on computer (i could few times but after when i reset to default settings in bios couldn't) (i've reseted to default cuz it didn't worked for me, couldn't unlock cores)
My motherboard is MSI 880GM-E41... :whistle:
Sorry my English isn't great, fluent...
Hope you can help me. Thanks! :)