Amd phenom 2 x2 550be

mosfet429546

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
if we can unlock all 4 cores in an amd x2 550be which is clocked at 3.1mhz and the temp is as it is as using only two cores <45c temp then would it be more worth than x3 and x4 amd proc with clock <3.1mhz before overclocking
what is the diff betwn them?

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
It would be worth less either way, locked or unlocked. The reason is - AMD has only given the warranty that two cores are stable.

The temps always go up after you unlock the cores. My personal opinion is that the dual cores were "bad batches" of quad cores that ran too hot.

After unlocking the temp sensors will not work as normal and you cannot rely on temp monitors.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
The temp apps just get their reading directly from the cores.

HundredIslandBoy is 100% correct. The second best option would be looking at the difference between your current "CPU" temp (as measured by Motherboard) and noting the difference between cpu temp and reported by core temp.

(Assuming you haven't already unlocked the cores, note the difference between CPU Temp and Core Temps using a program like RealTemp)

Then you can use that as a way to gauge where your cores are at (at least, get a feeling).
However, you should use common sense and exercise caution when overclocking without any core temp indicator.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
I was using realtemp as an example (my bad, should have listed different software).

HwMonitor and Overdrive work with AMD

My first stop would be in the overclocking section of Tom's Forums.
If you don't find anything satisfactory, spending about 5 minutes googling should turn up some results.

I don't think I could write as nearly a comprehensive guide as what already exists out there.