AMD Phenom Mobile CPUs?

Seems Engadget has found a few device (mainly from Dell and Acer) that have specs with mobile variants of the Phenom II quad cores.

Dell Inspiron M501R: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/dell-inspiron-m501r-seen-packing-quad-core-amd-phenom-ii-x4-cpu/

Acer Models: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/acer-aspire-5551g-5553g-and-7551g-keep-the-phenom-ii-x3-and-x4/

Haven't seen any benchmarks or even any release news for these processors. Should be really interesting to see if AMD can start to bridge the gap in the mobile sector. Thoughts? Opinions? Additional links?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
This should be interesting, especially as AMD is usually more affordable than Intel.. but it lacks the hyperthreading. I was reading the articles and it was saying that the AMD PII X4 (desktop maybe?) processors were on par with the i7 for gaming, but fell behind in other applications where hyperthreading pulled ahead.

I'd really like to see some tests being done too, seeing as how I'm planning to replace this clunker in about a year. It'll be nice to have more options instead of always going for the Intel.

If it can compete with the i7 and i5, then hopefully we will see companies like Clevo and Alienware start to adopt these in gaming systems. As long as they can keep power consumption and heat to a minimum while perform like I stated, then they'd provide a pretty good alternative to an Intel dominated sector. Let's face it, the Turion II's weren't really anything to write home about.....

Battletroll

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
My minute understanding of the AMD processor vs Intel

AMD sets there processors to max speed all the way at the top of the threshold. THis is why they run hot. A 2Ghz processor is set to 2Ghz.

Intel sets there processors to max then backs them off. This keeps them cooler. A 2Ghz processor is set to roughly 1.8Ghz for stability reasons. This is why we see Intel processors overclocked.

Am I wrong on my assumptions here?

If I am right wouldnt an AMD laptop almost be too hot and cause more MB failures and the such?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
An old review on Tomshardware showed that the i7 idles with a higher power consumption, but its max clock is higher than a comparable AMD (3.06 GHz vs 2.8*.. estimated numbers from the top of my head).

xninjagrrl

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
In case anyone ever follows this thread again. I have a Hp with AMD Phenom II quad core N930 and mine bench marked right around the 2,400 mark (like in the link above comparing this processor to i5's and i7's). Mine also runs pretty cool for a quad core. Off the top of my head around 55C (not gaming, just running anti virus, googling stuff online and having steam open and d/ling STALKER- all at the same time).

In case you want specifics, check this link. This guy ran benchmarks and got higher numbers than I got, I wish I knew how.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/492617-hp-dv6z-se-user-review.html

xninjagrrl

Distinguished
May 6, 2010

Yeah, I thought the heat factor would be a concern but not really. According to the review (link) I posted this quad core runs cooler than the i7's, which isn't saying much. The i7 laptops I have encountered run hotter than my old Pentium 3 laptop and that thing could literally burn your skin.