AMD quad core A10-4655M vs. intel i7 for a computer engineering student

lacus1123

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015
Hello,

I'm a computer engineering student in uni and I'm not quite sure which laptop to choose from. I need a laptop that can use virtual machine as well as AUTOCAD and some coding scripts (java, C, C++) and I hope that this laptop will last me a couple of years (hopefully 3-4 at least). I would also like the laptop to be as fast as possible (in every aspect) since I would be using this during labs.

I saw an HP laptop with an AMD quad core A10-4655M processor with 8G ram and 1tb memory which caught my attention but my friend said that an Intel i7 processor with quad core would be way better. I would like a laptop under $1500 if possible but can consider going over (although as cheap as possible would be ideal)

If an Intel i7 processor would be better, please do leave me the name so I can find it when I buy a computer.

I'm not sure if my requests are reasonable with my price range, sorry if I'm asking for the impossible. Thank you!

Solution

For the most part you'll be fine now. The idea is to future-proof your laptop, however, so that your laptop will...

metalicgeek

Estimable

lacus1123

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

Just wondering, since I would like to save money if possible, would an i5 quad core or i7 dual core be able to withstand what I need it to do or should I just stick with a quad core i7?

metalicgeek

Estimable

For the most part you'll be fine now. The idea is to future-proof your laptop, however, so that your laptop will actually last those 3-4 years. i3s and i5s from 3-4 years ago are very slow today, but the i7s from back then are still doing well.

Solution

lacus1123

Estimable
Sep 1, 2015

Thank you so much for all your help! Your answers were easy to understand and helped me a bunch.

jblakelyone

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
The previous statement made by the gentleman concerning "future proof" is correct. I am NOT a techie; that said, I respect this board and can say from experience that you should, if financially possible, buy the best processor (and most RAM) you can at time of purchase. I only teach high school Language Arts, coach baseball, and very guilty of having ten to twenty Internet pages (most chrome, several Mozilla, and Safari) open at one time, along with excel spreadsheets, documents, etc....the better processors and the additional RAM make it possible for this ADHD teacher to work.

And by the way, this site save me mucho dinero on my last laptop purchase. Tom's Hardware is the BOSS.