AMD Radeon 6490m/7400m Display amd driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hello Guys,

I'm facing 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered' issue on my laptop with AMD Switchable graphic card 6490M (Re updated as 7400M series by AMD), whenever I open any application that involves the graphic card usage (Eg: Adobe After Effects etc). I face the same error even when I re-assess Windows Experience Index. Sometimes I even get a blue screen.

I have installed the latest drivers from the official AMD and HP website. Tried all drivers with DDU clean installation (Leshcat Labs, Previous Installations etc), Updated Framework, Direct X and TdrDelay etc, but the error still exists. I have attached the screenshots of my GPU details. Please help me!!

SCREENSHOTS:

AMD:
9d2.png

INTEL:
vnr.png

Thanks!
MK

MrPopadomz

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
It could be anything really. I take it this is a laptop GPU.
Try checking your temps for the GPU as this is a huge issue in alot of laptops, also make sure you have disabled your Intel HD graphics. Could also be your gpu is dying, how old is the laptop? Might be worth checking to see if you can get a RMA, return it and get a new one as most laptops have a couple of years warranty.

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hello Popadomz,

Thanks for a quick reply. Its a HP Pavilion DV7-6175us laptop. I have checked the temps via MSI and it was around 50 degrees. My laptop is around 4 years old and is out of warranty. Last month,I have also installed heat sink paste and also cleared dust from fan and vents. Also, I have not disabled the Intel HD graphics. But as per your advice, I have just disabled it and the screen becomes big (just like no drivers installed) and the After effects application opens with out any error. So, please advice and suggest me on this as I'm badly in need of the issue to get it fixed.

Thanks,
MK

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Have tried many times (around 7-8 times) with various drivers, but getting the same error again and again. Also, please let me know how to notice, if the GPU is in dying state.

Thanks,
MK

MrPopadomz

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Download a GPU benchmark, you wont get the best FPS but that doesn't really matter if you complete the benchmark then your GPU is fine, if not then you got problems.

Id use these 2:

https://unigine.com/products/benchmarks/valley/
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Thank you for the links, But I'm unable to run the file (Furmark). As soon as I open it, I get a blank screen (for a sec), followed by 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered' message.:??:

Thanks,
MK

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Same error is thrown. After Installation of Valley, the application freezed and 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered' is popped. Also, request you to check the clock speed values (I'm a newbie to this) and let me know if everything is fine and if there is any need to overlock the GPU and if yes, then please suggest me how.

Thanks!
MK

maxeon

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
Hey Guys,

Reinstalled the drivers and now the clock speed has bee updated. But whenever I open any application, it simply crashes with a popup stating 'Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered' and the GPU clock is again struck at 100mhz. Please help!!

GPU Screenshot (Before Crash and after Fresh Installation of Graphics Drivers):
jpq.png

GPU Screenshot (After Crash):
t47.png