AMD RADEON GRAPHICS's driver fails to install, error massage "Application Install : Install Package Failure"

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
Oh boy, I don't know how many threads about this question already exist ,but here comes another one. so I have a lenovo G510 notebook with windows 8.1 64 bit , according to the stickers under the keyboard it has an intel inside core i5 and of course an AMD RADEON GRAPHICS card .Now the thing is that I noticed that in most of the games I play the configurations always say that i'm using an "Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600" , but I want to use my AMD RADEON, so I tried to look this up, and I may be wrong (feel free to tell me if it's bullshit) ,but I believe that my notebook has 2 graphics cards and if I remember correctly they are switchable so that if the AMD heats to much then I can simply switch to the other one, how ever it seems that in order to switch to the AMD card I have to install the AMD Catalist driver and this is where the title comes in. as you probably guessed already I simply fail to install it, I tried multiple times and each time I do i'm being granted with an "Application Install : Install Package Failure" error massage, I tried to look up the problem and I sure doesn't seem to be alone, there are many people with this problem, but unfortunately everyone has their own solutions that doesn't seem to work for me, the most recommanded solutions I found usually saying that the intel graphics card is some how in the way of the installation and that it's the cause of the problem, I sew at least 1 or 2 people recommending to delete the Intel graphics drivers first, but i'm preaty sure that it isn't the best idea and that it can possibly cause my screen to go black, but you know what, maybe you can help me with this because I don't even know anymore

Use the following method. Run the DDU twice. First, run it for AMD. Then run it for Intel. Be sure to download your installer files for the Intel and AMD drivers BEFORE running the DDU, so you will already have them to reinstall after you run the DDU.

After running the DDU, install the AMD catalyst package first, then if necessary, install the Intel graphics driver.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

ok, I want to do this , but you see just to make sure I decided to see if I can actually install the Intel driver , and it also now has it's own problem "'when I try to install it , it says "The driver installed is not verified for this computer, obtain the appropriate driver from the manufacturer of the computer"

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

ok, but what if I will delete my drivers for nothing because i won't be able to re download them because of some error?

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

sorry for the late response, but I got another problem now, I can't put my pc in safe mode, when I boot up my pc the first thing I see is the lenovo boot up screen , and also I can't use the F keys , some geniuse though it would be a great Idea to make the F keys function with an fn button which I don't think are usable during the boot up screen, is there any way for me to enter safe mode?

Keentruffle

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
You're pc is a notebook it can not support an and gpu... Amd doesnt really make notebook gaming gpus nvidia does so I guess it's and integrated graphics there is no way to fix this because it is impossible

rgd1101

Don't

yes they do.
http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/8900m#

You, don't know what you're talking about and should probably refrain from misleading any more members until you do. Either that, or you're intentionally trolling.

Laptop video cards are only fully supported by the laptop vendor. Go to Lenovo's website, and install the video drivers there. There are many issues with switchable graphics not working properly, try a BIOS and chipset update also. You can also check with Lenovo support.

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

ok, I wen't to levono's website, I searched for drivers, then I entered my notebook model and it gave me a list of compatible drivers for my notebook and surprisingly one of them were "AMD Video Driver for Windows 8.1" so I tried to download it, it had the usual AMD Catalyst installation accept guess what, the installation was a success!, i'm going to check if this works after posting this, but I should mention that it says that download link is from 10/16/2013 so it's probably a very old version

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

ok, I wen't to levono's website, I searched for drivers, then I entered my notebook model and it gave me a list of compatible drivers for my notebook and surprisingly one of them were "AMD Video Driver for Windows 8.1" so I tried to download it, it had the usual AMD Catalyst installation accept guess what, the installation was a success!, i'm going to check if this works after posting this, but I should mention that it says that download link is from 10/16/2013 so it's probably a very old version

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
ok, never mind, I accidently installed the win8 version, so then I decided to download the win 8.1 version and I got the error again, so yeh, back to the safe mode problem

If the version you downloaded worked, just go back to using that one.

Lenovo will have older drivers than what is on the chip maker's site, but as you found out, those newer ones don't always work properly with laptops.

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015

ok, but I don't see any signs of this version of the driver working, how do I make sure?

You don't indicate that you had any errors with the Windows 8 version when you "accidentally" installed it. So did you, or did you not have problems with that version installed, or did you not try it and just changed immediately. One thing to note, between each installation of a different driver version, you need to run the DDU again otherwise you're right back where you started.

I'd also go through the Programs and features applet in control panel and see if you have any older programs installed that you no longer use or need. Many times an older application or driver will cause these kinds of troubles. If there are some and you don't need or want them anymore, remove them, or remove anything not absolutely necessary, just for the process of eliminating potential issues. You can always add stuff back if needed.

I think doing a CLEAN install of Windows followed by running the DDU and installing the GPU driver listed on your laptop model's product page right away would be the best method of checking it out. Downloading and running a portable version of Linux to see if there are similar problems on that OS might be a good idea as well. You can at least determine if it's a hardware or software issue that way.

Baraksha

Estimable
Nov 1, 2015
yeh, i'm dont really have much expirience with this kind of stuff, all I know is that after installing it I rebooted the notebook and the a cmd window opened and it was downlloading something, after that windows started and that's it,I don't know what happaned or what I did , but I didn't find any change in my pc or found any signs that shows that it exists in my pc,maybe I just don't know where to look. as for the DDU I want to use it, but like I said I need to do it in safe mode and unfortunatly I have no idea how to get to safe mode because when I open up my pc it brings me straight to a lovano loading screen and I have no other options from there but to waot for windows to load