AMD Radeon HD 7970M and Intel 4000 Overheating using Switchable Graphics

Snoffles

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014
I just recently purchased a 144hz monitor for my Alienware m17xR4 and am currently using a mini-DP to DP cable to connect the two. The thing here is that I have to enable switchable graphics in order for the mini displayport output to work. With that being said, I've recently gotten several force shutdowns due to my GPU (both) overheating, going up to 100 deg C when running a game and sitting at 60 deg C while idle. Both drivers are up to date. This happens when I connect the monitor and my laptop using an HDMI port as well, which is how I narrowed it down to it being switchable graphics. When I turn switchable graphics off, the computer sits at ~40 deg C and goes up to about 80 at most when being pushed. I would most certainly like to utilize what I have, and run everything at 144fps, which my computer is certainly capable of (other than overheating). Would anyone happen to know a solution to these high temperatures, or how to enable the mini-DP port on my laptop without enabling switchable graphics? Thanks!

Solution

is the laptop monitor being on too while gaming?

Snoffles

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

1920x1080 at 60hz at the moment, since it's through HDMI and w/ switchable graphics off.

When I turn switchable graphics on, I change it to 1920x1080 at 144hz, connecting through mini-dp -> DP.

blacksheep123

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

is the laptop monitor being on too while gaming?

Solution

Snoffles

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

Yes, I haven't tried turning disabling it though. I'll let you know how that goes.

UPDATE: It helps significantly! Thank you very much, I'm surprised I overlooked that option. Still though, it's kinda disappointing that I have to do this just to get 144hz.

Snoffles

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

Update #2: While it did help significantly, my computer actually just overheated again and did shut itself down during a game. I think this might be the integrated GPU overheating though, I'm not sure. I'm very hesitant to test it out again but I'll post an update when I figure it out.

blacksheep123

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

take it to a service center and get the dust cleaned from your laptop..also replace the cooling paste on the cpu and gpu

Snoffles

Estimable
Feb 26, 2014

Actually I may have figured something out. I went into the BIOS and turned off the CPU Overdrive option (which is checked by default so I never messed with it). The GPU hasn't gone above ~84C so that's calming. Anyways I have already cleaned the dust out of it myself. I'm gonna go get the materials to replace the paste as I've done it myself successfully. I'll post yet another update after that. I've resorted to turning my fan speeds up to 5500rpm during any uptime for GPU/CPU intensive programs as well as turning off my laptop's monitor. Thanks for your help though. I think it's safe to close this thread.

blacksheep123

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014

well , i tried

glad its fixed