News AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT benchmarks revealed — and RTX 3080 should be worried

Nov 3, 2020
Your article mentions that "Nvidia’s graphics cards have dedicated ray-tracing hardware, so there’s a good chance that they could still be the superior GPUs when it comes to ray tracing."

It's important to know that AMD's new cards also have dedicated ray-tracing hardware built-in. These are called Ray Accelerators. They are similar in function to Nvidia's RT Cores.

Nov 3, 2020
Yeah, AMD 6000 cards do have ray tracing cores, but ray-tracing benchmarks that leaked a few weeks ago show them 25% behind NVidia. The absence of ray tracing numbers from AMD presentation is also likely not coincidental.

But regardless, NVidia has huge advantage in software right now. DLSS and ray tracing are beginning to be integrated in every new title and it will be a while before AMD catches up. AMD has a good thing going for them that they are the sole console GPU provider, so eventually game developers will be making ray-tracing games compatible with AMD ray tracing, but it will take a while.

Nov 3, 2020
Yeah, AMD 6000 cards do have ray tracing cores, but ray-tracing benchmarks that leaked a few weeks ago show them 25% behind NVidia. The absence of ray tracing numbers from AMD presentation is also likely not coincidental.

But regardless, NVidia has huge advantage in software right now. DLSS and ray tracing are beginning to be integrated in every new title and it will be a while before AMD catches up. AMD has a good thing going for them that they are the sole console GPU provider, so eventually game developers will be making ray-tracing games compatible with AMD ray tracing, but it will take a while.
Very true, but AMD's ray tracing solution interfaces directly with DirectX Ray Tracing, so titles that already have DXR built in should immediately support AMD's solution. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also, AMD's version of DLSS apparently works at the driver level rather than on a per-game basis. We'll see if that churns out similar results. At least that would mean, in theory, that most if not all games would immediately support AMD's version of DLSS. (Sorry I'm blanking on what they are calling it)

Nov 3, 2020
Your right, AMD ray-tracing == DirectX Ray Tracing, which is great. Unfortunately, since NVidia was the only ray-tracing game in town for a while now, my understanding is that a lot of PC games in development (e.g., Cyberpunk 2077) are using NVidia's proprietary ray-tracing solution.

No idea how DLSS-equivalent will work for AMD. Software and drivers have been an issue for AMD in the past and they lost a lot of goodwill with game developers. It would be great for NVidia to have some real competition again, I think their 3000 series cards are definitely more beefier thanks to AMD 6000.

Nov 3, 2020
Your right, AMD ray-tracing == DirectX Ray Tracing, which is great. Unfortunately, since NVidia was the only ray-tracing game in town for a while now, my understanding is that a lot of PC games in development (e.g., Cyberpunk 2077) are using NVidia's proprietary ray-tracing solution.

No idea how DLSS-equivalent will work for AMD. Software and drivers have been an issue for AMD in the past and they lost a lot of goodwill with game developers. It would be great for NVidia to have some real competition again, I think their 3000 series cards are definitely more beefier thanks to AMD 6000.
Good to know. I wasn't aware there was a difference.

I agree the competition is making both companies better, and in turn, making our gaming hardware better!

HateSony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Good to know. I wasn't aware there was a difference.

I agree the competition is making both companies better, and in turn, making our gaming hardware better!

He's mostly wrong. Most games use Microsoft's DXR Raytracing standard, including Cyberpunk 2077. The developers have stated AMD support for raytracing won't be until next year but it has nothing to do with NVIDIA and proprietary tech. The only proprietary raytracing tech has been with the Vulkan API on Quake II RTX. This is because Khronos group haven't finalized their raytracing solution so NVIDIA did the work for that game to support raytracing.

Nov 3, 2020
He's mostly wrong. Most games use Microsoft's DXR Raytracing standard, including Cyberpunk 2077. The developers have stated AMD support for raytracing won't be until next year but it has nothing to do with NVIDIA and proprietary tech. The only proprietary raytracing tech has been with the Vulkan API on Quake II RTX. This is because Khronos group haven't finalized their raytracing solution so NVIDIA did the work for that game to support raytracing.
This is what I thought the situation was. Thanks for confirming.

Nov 3, 2020
Ah, I was indeed wrong, that's great news. Why are developers, including CD Projekt Red, not supporting ray tracing on day one then?

HateSony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I'd guess because the cards launch mere days before the release of the game and they'd have zero time to do quality assurance on that setup. They already pushed the game back 3 weeks to make sure the 9 versions are working and people lost their minds.

Nov 4, 2020
It's always amusing to see what caveats they choose to try to sell AMD cards.
Sometimes they have to turn off certain features in the Nvidia cards in order to make their comparisons, other times they have to use them exclusively with AMD processors, still other times they have to cherry pick certain games this time it seems like they had to do all three and still use the caveat good if you want decent Graphics but still want to save money amd might be a good choice provided you don't want the best money can buy. It's also cute as heck when they compare this year's AMD cards to last year's Nvidia cards I wonder how last year's AMD cards would compare to this year's Nvidia cards. Fortunately Nvidia never has to compete with last year's cards so they never do that comparison. It's too bad that AMD never really leads in anything they missed the boat on Ray tracing an entire generation and they're always playing catch-up. If they could become a leader they could command the highest prices instead of always having to try to beat the competition on pricing. That would make their stock do much better also.
They need to focus on beating the stats of nvidia's Next Generation not the current one.