America Spends $595M Online on Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
According to ComScore, American consumers managed to jack the annual Black Friday spendfest up to $595 million,...
And, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax predicts in about 60-90 days black friday shoppers will manage to "jack" their credit scores too.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I can say from experience that TigerDirect.com and NewEgg.com spend a lot of time sending out Emails this year announcing different Black Friday deals (many ahead of time). Being a Facebook user, I knew NewEgg.com posted on their Facebook site numerous times giving heads up on different items that would be on sale.

I think both companies likely saw increases in website activity, considering they were pretty aggressive with regard to advertising what would be on sale and trying to get folks excited about it.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
lol. not believing the numbers is like not wanting to believe that the average american is in DEEP debt. it's not nice, but it's true.
and thanks to all the debt, the whole world gets to go along for the hell ride of financial disaster caused by ultra greedy banks and (as is fittingly shown through this article) the profligate spending sprees of the average US citizen (in a time where SAVING your money should be everyone's main concern)

sigh.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I don't believe the numbers because i don't believe you can get every online company to report and i don't believe the total numbers are even in yet. Furthermore i don't believe the numbers reported because i believe their are a number of companys that like to inflate their numbers.

G

Your article and the one you site have conflicting info. Yours indicates that there was a 3% decrease in sales over the whole of November, where the article you provide a link to says that the 3% was actually an increase compared to last year.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I didnt see to many good deals. So I didnt buy anything online, except for some Victoria Secret stuff for the gf. Hoping it will be a productive Christmas

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]dave91741[/nom]Your article and the one you site have conflicting info. Yours indicates that there was a 3% decrease in sales over the whole of November, where the article you provide a link to says that the 3% was actually an increase compared to last year.[/citation]

Oops. fixed. Thanks. :)

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
I bought a WD 1TB hard disk, windows 7 pro, a webcam, and Left 4 Dead 2. Lots of sales were online, newegg.com had the best imo.

I'm not sure if the numbers are accurate, but I think they were calculated either from companies that consented to monitering their sales long before black friday hit, or these are spending reports from major credit/debit card companies. It's not as complicated of a calculation as you'd think. It's not like people all flocked together all at once and said, "Lets throw our numbers together right..... now!" This was a planned calculation, don't overdue the thought process behind this calculation.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I don't believe the numbers either. It is a marketing scheme released by these massive corporations in order to make it seem like it is normal to go out and spend ridiculous amounts of money during such a hard economical time.

I live in NYC and can say with confidence that it was no where NEAR as business this year as it has been in the past five years. And the people I did see purchasing were really not buy a whole lot ...

What makes you think that ComScore is the end all be all and that these numbers could not be lobbied for calculative reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.