American Airlines Launches WiFi Sniffing Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]AtuBrian[/nom]more money to make and how much does the widget cost?[/citation]

It's free to use if that's what you're asking? As far as how much AA spent on it, I have no clue.

av8shunhaxor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
What I was trying to say was, before I somehow posted my last post, was that insider3 will not have an internet connection flying to Europe even today. The WiFi system which is installed on AA (and other carriers) is terrestrial based meaning it works off of cell towers. Obviously, this makes it impossible to get a signal when flying off the coast at some distance. Eventually, this will change with all carriers, but the options are way expensive right now.

Honis, flights are not actually assigned a specific tail number (specific aircraft) until about 8 hours prior to departure time. So, this means if you book the flight two weeks in advance, AA will not know what specific aircraft will be on your flight. Why this is important is that in the near term, only 150 of the MD80s in their fleet will have WiFi access. That means that you have about a 75% chance that your MD80 will have WiFi (hence the widget). The only other aircraft in AA's fleet that has WiFi is the 767-200, as of today. That will obviously change in the future. I would assume AA created the widget so that at flight time, you will know yes/no if your flight has WiFi on it. Honestly, I haven't checked it out because I don't fly on AA much.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
In response to av8, I know it's based off of cell towers. I was just making a general statement that I suffered just that 8 hours alone without the Internet. Meaning, I'm not surprised that AA has wi-fi since people like me can't do without the Internet for a couple of hours.

av8shunhaxor

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Gotcha...

Just making sure that people knew this was not a product like "Connection by Boeing" or whatever it was called before going out of business a few years ago. I used to be able to get on the internet over the Pacific flying between Tokyo and Chicago on JAL, which was awesome, using the SatCom solution. Pair the internet ability with my Slingbox and I had an awesome alternative to the inflight entertainment which, after doing the back amd forth to Tokyo serveral times a month, got pretty much boring.

I miss that ability now!

Status
Not open for further replies.