An Electric Scooter That Hits 113 KPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
We looked into getting one of those ultra small electric cars recently so that the other half could save on fuel costs and also avoid having to pay congestion charge when driving in to work in London.

The biggest problem with them is the hidden cost of new batteries. Pretty much any fully (i.e. non hybrid) electric vehicle will need a new set of batteries after two years because they seriously lose their capacity. Once that was factored in, it would have been cheaper to get a Smart car LPG converted.

We've gone for a moped now since it was even cheaper. I don't think this scooter will manage to be cheaper than a small petrol scooter though since although it may cost 10 cents per day in terms of electricity costs, the batteries will probably cost at least $1000 to replace two years down the line adding a cost of nearly $1.50 per day. Maybe not much per day but how much does a scooter actually cost per day to run? Our scooter costs us 50p per day with the UK's much higher fuel prices so US prices for the same would likely be about 50 cents.

G

749 pounds? That's twice the weight of most scooters and sport bikes. I pity the poor lady that drops this sucker.

kyzar

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Considering fuel economy is one thing that scooters already do *really* well, surely a worthy but ultimately pointless effort? A run-of-the-mill Pug 125 scooter tops over 70mpg and has a 230+ mile range...

G

113 kph = 70 Mph...but the range of "88 to 122 kilometers (or 55 to 70 miles)" would be ~55 to ~76 miles.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
345 KILOS????

We have a BMW touring bike, which is absolutely massive, and yet it weighs around 250 Kg... has more power too, 110 HP.

not to mention, I believe the average scooter weighs around 100-150 Kg MAX.

then again, with the batteries in there it should take up a lot of weight...

nice to see development, but i've seen lighter electric scooters... just not as fast.

sorry quite a useless post

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
70 Mmh.... only on a steep hill... with a tail wind.

the way 240 N-m is about 180 lb-ft.

This is an article about an product for the US market.. so style wise you should still put English unit first and drop the "or".

G

OMG! :O

At first I thought it read 113MPH until I realized that I had misread it!

I could Just imagine those things on the road in some Asian countries if they could go 113 mph. The death rate would go up almost as fast as the scooter could go.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
10 cents for 70 miles sounds too low. To give you a miles per gallon similarity (based on price), at $3.00 per gallon, that would mean you get 3.00*70/.10 miles which would be 2100 miles per gallon. That just doesn't sound right.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
28 batteries storing up to 3.84 kilowatts

You can't store watts, that's a measure of power not potential energy.

The batteries deliver 3.84 kilowatts to the motors is probably what you wanted to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.