Analyst: Cut RIM Some Slack Over BlackBerry Outage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Don't like the path this company is heading. Seems like support could be severely degraded in the next decade. I currently have a BB9900 for its amazing keyboard, but this will probably be my last BB for a while since I will re-explore other options again.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The problem is not in RIM having an outage, the problem is in the outage lasting so long. I work in a SaaS company myself and we also have outages, but not ones that take days to fix. It's a matter of over-engineering and over-provisioning, as RIM state they have done, but it's also a matter of periodically testing these defenses...

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
it's not surprising regarding the outage time. Most people who think they understand networking infrastructure (or I.T. Support in general) rarely have any actual idea what they are doing. There is a reason those certifications are hard and it still doesn't prove you have any idea what you are talking about.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You didn't give any slack to AMD with their Phenom TLB bug. I think you pretty much bashed bulldozer too. Why should we give RIM some slack?

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I'm sorry, but when a company banks on services that they alone control on their servers that is seen as a major reason to consider the platform (speaking of BBM and other BB-only services), they should know very well that they need to keep their ducks in a row or the service (and therefore the brand) gets a bad reputation (which will translate to lost sales)

But the point/argument really is moot at this point: I think it's pretty obvious that RIM is on the way out, but it's likely to be a long, slow decent into insolvency

G

Even if it may not be RIM's fault necessarily, it's hard getting that across to the public. The market's a harsh place and whatever happens happens.

At a time of declining share and overall struggle, RIM can't afford to slip up like this.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Last outage was in 2009...people need to stop whining. I tried a Droid 3...mistake...3 pages of uninstallable bloatware and 6 hour battery life..not to mention it weighed like half a pound, no thanks. Even thought about the iPhone until I read the 40 page EULA. Never leaving RIM again.[/citation]

Lol, 3 "pages" of uninstallable bloatware? Root.

6 hour battery life? Of non-stop heavy use maybe. In which case it's not uncommon.

wingartz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bmouring[/nom]I'm sorry, but when a company banks on services that they alone control on their servers that is seen as a major reason to consider the platform (speaking of BBM and other BB-only services), they should know very well that they need to keep their ducks in a row or the service (and therefore the brand) gets a bad reputation (which will translate to lost sales)[/citation]

Too true.. they say BIS, BBM are a premium feature, over their servers, not the cellular server, so rim servers die, and poof no more 'premium' services, but my wife has a motorla android in the same celluar company and was working flalessly so rim see you next time (i'll bet is never)

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm going to make no attempt to defend RIM for not implementing a backup system properly, but I agree with the analyst. The media is generally too harsh on RIM for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Streaming Video & TVs 39
Z Streaming Video & TVs 21
Z Streaming Video & TVs 7
G Streaming Video & TVs 21
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
G Streaming Video & TVs 24
G Streaming Video & TVs 15
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 40
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 46