Analyst: Microsoft Should Abandon Zune

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Are they the same analysts who suggested that Microsoft should abandon the XBox a few years back?

Hippies!

G

I would not be surprised if zune ceased to exist. I own one but I'm not happy with it. The software itself takes up alot of memory that can be used for something else.

zjuice

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
And we all should be Ipod fanboys right. I love my Zune, I own three, soon to be four this fall. I owned a Ipod and hated it.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I still don't understand why people buy iPod in the first place. I am amazed how young college students here in the US get a lot of those at the expense of more than a good CPU. Really, what's the point? Why is there necessity to listen to music while doing anything? And what's the point of watching movies at a screen the size of your palm?

Apple's success can't be duplicated and none other can recreate the hype. M$ should have realized it long time ago. They are simply not a hype company, and can't sell things with hype. They should sell the Zune brand to Logitech or Creative, and focus on inter-operable OS for smartphone/touch-MP3 player. They've gotten the chance to dominate the market 5 years ago, and they blew it. Now they have to face competition from all sides. They should shutdown plan for M$ Stores and hire the ShamWow guy instead.

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Actually when the zune hd is released I plan on getting one (depending on prices) either when it is released or around christmas. Also I refuse to use an ipod becuase I hate itunes, and various other gribes about it.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
The only reason I haven't purchased my own smartphone is for something that plays media even better comes along. PSP isn't good enough PSP go is too late, phones come with heavy monthly fees, and apples products are overpriced. Right now the Zune HD is at the top of my list.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
To me the only reason that the zune came out is because ms saw how well the ipod was selling. they want a piece of the pie.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
People by iPods for 1 reason: iTunes. Better integration and a huge easy to use library.

Zune has superior hardware, but the sync software took a wile to get close to usable.

But I agree with the analyst. This the the route MS should take to the smartphone sector, rather than the tragedy known only as Windows Mobile...

If the new HD is as good as I think it can be, it will set a new standard for PmPs... Here is to hoping MS gets it right.

G

Actually, Microsoft exists today due to Gates and friends successfully hyping DOS to IBM.

They made it through they 80s and early 90s with the stance that rich color and sound were something no serious business computer would make use of, let alone need.

Today their main markets are games and digital media, funny how that worked out.

Not trying to judge here, just saying.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
they say that the problem is that its not a phone - which is correct, the zune hd should be a phone, or have a phone option - but you can totally tell that their real problem is that its not made by apple and doesn't have an 'i' in front of its name. its hard for these 'analysts' and 'the market' to see any other good products on the horizon when there view is blocked by apple's scrotum...

G

I want a media player that looks really cool, like an iPod or Zune, has a fun interface, holds a shitload of shit, and can be used in whatever program I choose (winamp). I'd totally get a touch, but winamp can't manage a touch, only non-ssd ipods.

Here's hoping ZuneHD will give me all this. Does anyone know if you can use a Zune with winamp?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
iPods do suck....overhyped crap. I've used other MP3 players I've liked better for much less cost. Frankly my phone serves as the only MP3 player I need....more than I need. iPods days are numbered, phones will take this away from then. Oh, and iPhones suck too. I like the hippie comment, that's exactly the kind of person who buys iPhones...trend following wanabes

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
It seems most people can agree now that Zunes are better hardware than their equivalent iPod counterparts. The only problem is that iPods still win because they have an amazing amount of hype behind them. Also, iPod users find it hard to switch to anything else because they are tied to their 5,000 DRM infested iTunes songs and can only use iTunes. But does Apple get sued by the EU for crushing competition by utlizing their 95% control over the market?

Status
Not open for further replies.