And again, best antivirus?

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
so, you may have seen this kind of topic a few hundred times now, and if there is a similar topic up please let me know, but I (may) want to switch antivirus software, so I'm asking your help.

Right now I'm using Norton Antivirus, last version with all updates. I don't have any problems with it, and it's not really using much of my memory or CPU, but some friends told me it's really, really bad, and I couldn't find it in any top 10 in reviews, so I figured I may have to switch. But my problem is, which one. What program do you use, and why?

No problem with paid versions, I prefer paying for good software then having a trojan taking over while AVG-Free is just watching and eating popcorn.

jackattack223

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Honestly, I would definitely go with an internet security. I had Norton Internet Security, and I've done the testing. Norton is absolutely great. When your friends say it is terrible, they're probably referring to earlier versions. 2009 is really when Norton stepped up their game. I would go out and buy Norton Internet Security. Don't be a pirate. Support the Norton developers because it is a great product!

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
indeed, it one of the few software I actually pay for. Now I think about it... it's the only one :)
but even though norton is fine, would there be an equally good product for a lower price?

djmenez10

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
The ones that I've tried and like are Kaspersky, ESET and right now trying Avast. From my experience these don't bog your system down so much.

Daniel NA

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I've been using ESET NOD32 Antivirus for the last 5 years and I've never been happier. It's light on my system and has kept me malware free far better than the other solutions I've tried. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5 is currently selling for the same price on eset.com that Norton Antivirus 2012 is selling for on norton.com.

I agree with the suggestion to check out AV-Comparitives and Virus Bulletin to research the top options out there. Try out a few options, see if you like them better than Norton and then go with (or keep) the one that works best for you and your budget.

amnesiaaisenma

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
AVG works...and I'm a pirate, so I either use cracked software, or of course, serial keys. Paying money for anything in this world is nonsense, so I'd rather be a pirate than shell out money...AVG is quite the thing. Had a bad experience with Avast, it sucks. And I'm talking about a version I got around 4-5 months ago, so quite the late one, though not the latest. Avira might be good, but didn;t test it out quite much. Kaspersky is good enough, so is ESET.