Android 2.2 ''Froyo'' Brings Better Graphics, RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom]Hell were still waiting for android 2.1 on the hero. This will be out before we even get an update to an obsolete os LOL.[/citation]I'm addicted to Android! I dreamt of 2.1 on my Eris a few weeks ago. I thought maybe it was the OTA stirring my brainwaves and fondling my subconscious. But sadly no...

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Froyo, or a future build of the OS, will add new APIs to the Android NDK which will let Java developers gain access
Android NDK is C/C++ not Java. Java developers won't get anything unless it's a java Android sdk.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Android NDK is C/C++ not Java. Java developers won't get anything unless it's a java Android sdk.[/citation]

The NDK allows you to use C/C++, but it is to be used in conjuction with the SDK (Java). I think what they meant is that now you will be able to use Java to make API calls to access OpenGL since it is contained in the NDK. Kind of makes sense sense Java was built from C and C++ after all.

But, I'm just guessing here.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]The NDK allows you to use C/C++, but it is to be used in conjuction with the SDK (Java). I think what they meant is that now you will be able to use Java to make API calls to access OpenGL since it is contained in the NDK. Kind of makes sense sense Java was built from C and C++ after all. But, I'm just guessing here.[/citation]Err... No. Java cannot make calls to elements not contained the API. The Android NDK does not upgrade any Java API to make those calls. However, one can build his/her own API with the Android NDK to make those OpenGL calls. But that doesn't mean Froyo added an API for Java developers for graphics. Froyo might have add a means to create an API that can make OpenGL calls.

And even if you do make your own API, good luck adding the "entire OpenGL library" into the API. Theoretically possible, but Seriously, it's just not going to happen.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Err... No. Java cannot make calls to elements not contained the API. The Android NDK does not upgrade any Java API to make those calls. However, one can build his/her own API with the Android NDK to make those OpenGL calls. But that doesn't mean Froyo added an API for Java developers for graphics. Froyo might have add a means to create an API that can make OpenGL calls.And even if you do make your own API, good luck adding the "entire OpenGL library" into the API. Theoretically possible, but Seriously, it's just not going to happen.[/citation]

Ummm...maybe you mistundertood me.

I understand Java cannot make calls to elements outside of the API, but Java can make calls to native classes (NDK).

In addition, You can currently make opengl calls in Java using JOGL API. I am not sure which APIs they plan to add to the NDK. Maybe they meant they were going update the SDK to make the Opengl bindings more accessible.

Again, just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.