Android 2.4, aka Gingerbread 2, Coming in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
One of these days I expect 2.2 to be released for my Captivate. I doubt it will ever see anything official past 2.1 though.

G

I'm waiting for my Epic to be updated to 2.2 too, I think that will only happen when I do it myself, as Sprint and Samsung don't really care about us anymore. They said it's coming ASAP. However I believe from their point of view it is not possible...... So in this case ASAP = when Hell freezes over.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I just updated my Android to 2.2 and I lost the ability to put it on silent mode (vibrate is the lowest setting now). In addition, the corporate email client is god-awful slow now and there is no way to roll back to 2.1 :(

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]I just updated my Android to 2.2 and I lost the ability to put it on silent mode (vibrate is the lowest setting now). In addition, the corporate email client is god-awful slow now and there is no way to roll back to 2.1[/citation]
Check sound settings and make sure Vibrate is set to "Only when not in Silent mode". Unless that is a feature of Ruby, I never did check default settings before I rooted and put a GEM onto mine.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Priceless google, not only do developers have to put up with countless phone configurations, but also with your stupidity of having tons of different versions of the same OS. Braindead much?[/citation]
All phones would be the same version (unless too old) if the manufacturers and carriers would stop purposely holding back updates just to try and push newer phones (which will sell anyway). Right now you can find 2.2 and even 2.3 Android for almost every major phone out there is you root them. ATM I'm running Crystal Clears Ruby ROM on my Incredible and it's running great, can't wait till they release Gingerbread versions (which should be soon).

jpmucha

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]exzacklyright[/nom]I WANT 2.2!!!!!!! MAN[/citation]
I agree. I'm trying to stay 'official' with my Captivate until the warranty period is up. Samsung is acting like the update is just around the corner... If i'm still on 2.1 this summer... I'll be rooting away... :)

Fusion777

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Google releases the OS'es. It's the carriers who (usually) don't provide full support for the releases. Reasons for this are:

1. It's a support burden on the carrier: version rollouts are often accompanied by annoyed support calls of stuff new version "broke" (be it true or not)
2. It interferes with sales of newer handsets which already have that version targeted
3. Carriers like to "customize" (i.e. remove) features that Google cavalierly stuffs into its OS. Being a consumer, I like that Google does this.

Clearly there's no getting around that 2 and 3 are annoying to power users. On one hand the iOS upgrades are smooth and natural, but on the other, who knows what features Apple is excluding because of its partnership with AT&T...

Most phones themselves are not OS restricted. Have a visit to http://forum.xda-developers.com/ to see about getting the newest OS onto your phone.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]SlickyFats[/nom]One of these days I expect 2.2 to be released for my Captivate. I doubt it will ever see anything official past 2.1 though.[/citation]

I loaded the congnition room and love it for what it is. That being said, when my upgrade is available I am ditching samsung and never looking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.