Android 4.0 ICS Will Support USB Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
IDK if they have this or not but i'd like to see some built in sixaxis/DS3 drivers in there so i can connect my ps3 controller via blu tooth.

I know the controller may connect now but they might not register as game controllers. I need to try this out when i get home to see how it works now if at all.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I'd like to see Android turning into a complete OS that is able to kick Microsoft completely out of the mobile space (at least). ARM + Android FTW!!! It's about time that the decades lasting Wintel monopoly ends!

G

"It's about time that the decades lasting Wintel monopoly ends!"

replacing a monopoly with another. dumb.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]razorblaze42[/nom]Am I the only one that thinks ICS 4.0 user interface is "butt ugly" compared to Sense 3.0?[/citation]

Only one problem with that statement. Windows 8 runs on Arm. Don't think Intel is going anywhere anytime soon either. Their profit earnings is through the roof.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Non-PC USB support is nice for stuff like printers and external drives.

But let's not forget the whole purpose of these smartphones is to have an all-in-1 device.

You start adding accessories and you start losing the whole point.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]What about printing???[/citation]
Printing is already supported if you have a Ethernet-based printer. Simply install PrintBot or similar printing client and you can send the jobs to your printer (as long as you enable Wifi on your device and it is on the same subnet as your printer). I've never had any problems printing with my Xoom or my phone, even when I visit other locations (as long as I know the IP address of the printer, it works).

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]I'd like to see Android turning into a complete OS that is able to kick Microsoft completely out of the mobile space (at least). ARM + Android FTW!!! It's about time that the decades lasting Wintel monopoly ends![/citation]

Only one problem with that statement. Windows 8 runs on Arm. Don't think Intel is going anywhere anytime soon either. Their profit earnings is through the roof.

Disregard razorblaze42

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Here's hoping I can connect my xbox wireless PC receiver to it... I've been waiting to upgrade for a LONG time... and playing cheap but fun android games on TV's wherever I go would be AWESOME.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mariojp[/nom]Only one problem with that statement. Windows 8 runs on Arm. Don't think Intel is going anywhere anytime soon either. Their profit earnings is through the roof.Disregard razorblaze42[/citation]

And this is a good thing that we have an unchallenged monopoly for decades?

And Windows 8 isn't running on ARM yet. It's not running anywhere yet. It's still at least a year away. And also it is a big fat OS. And even if they optimize it for ARM and runs fine on tablets. Your dream applications like Photoshop, the full Office Suite, etc. won't be optimized for touch interfaces and they won't run properly on tablets at all.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Printing is already supported if you have a Ethernet-based printer. Simply install PrintBot or similar printing client and you can send the jobs to your printer (as long as you enable Wifi on your device and it is on the same subnet as your printer). I've never had any problems printing with my Xoom or my phone, even when I visit other locations (as long as I know the IP address of the printer, it works).[/citation]
What about the millions of people who don't have ethernet printers and want to use the USB support that is now being offered by ICS.
I think the questioner was alluding to the hope that printer manufacturers will start to offer Android drivers alongside the current standard offerings of Windows, Mac and Linux.
Now THAT would be cool.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Your dream applications like Photoshop, the full Office Suite, etc. won't be optimized for touch interfaces and they won't run properly on tablets at all.[/citation]
Those applications know that Windows 8 with touch optimization is coming soon, you seriously believe that they don't already have a team of boffins working with Windows 8 already to knock out a new version just for that purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.