Android Apps Are Too Expensive, Says Research Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Are we counting the ad-based free apps in there?

You know, those apps that have some ads and cost 0, which are the same apps that cost some pennies, but with no ads.

Cheers!

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
hmm ok lemme take a look at top 100 ios app - there's an app that make funny fart noise, app that makes funny faces, app the does nothing... now android top 100 - root app, backup app, actual productive apps...

qhoa1385

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
[citation][nom]yose3[/nom]why bother when u can get it free lol[/citation]
because not all apps are from big greedy company? you wouldn't steal from an 8 years old's hard work would you?

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Angry Birds on Android Market Galaxy phone: free
Angry Birds on Playbook: $4.99CAD

Issue: Playbook just released its new OS 2.0 which adds Android apps in the App World. Also, it adds support with the Android video player and .adk support for all android apps. What i'm getting to is that the idea of Blackberry bringing Android apps to my Playbook is like adding lightning stickers to my crappy car: IT'S STUPID!

By the way, the list of Android apps on my Playbook is so small, it took me 2 minutes to see them all and they were useless apps.

the real mr b

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Honnestly, people are really not thinking this through. What is paying 2$-3$-4$-5$ for a full decent game? You are paying 50-60-70$ for an Xbox/Ps3 title aren't you? Also don't forget that most devs are not big corporations but rather civilians working their ass off on nights and weekends ...

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]the real mr b[/nom]Honnestly, people are really not thinking this through. What is paying 2$-3$-4$-5$ for a full decent game? You are paying 50-60-70$ for an Xbox/Ps3 title aren't you? Also don't forget that most devs are not big corporations but rather civilians working their ass off on nights and weekends ...[/citation]

Well I'm sure most of us here are more PC gamers rather than console gamers, in which case, on average our games are under $50 :) Thank you steam.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Apps is a perfect example of how pricing your games favorably can combat piracy. When you give the people what they want, conveniently and at a reasonable price, people will vote with their feet and buy your games!

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]computernerdforlife[/nom]Angry Birds on Android Market Galaxy phone: free Angry Birds on Playbook: $4.99CADIssue: Playbook just released its new OS 2.0 which adds Android apps in the App World. Also, it adds support with the Android video player and .adk support for all android apps. What i'm getting to is that the idea of Blackberry bringing Android apps to my Playbook is like adding lightning stickers to my crappy car: IT'S STUPID! By the way, the list of Android apps on my Playbook is so small, it took me 2 minutes to see them all and they were useless apps.[/citation]

Ummmm .. OK

I missed the part of the article where it was mentioning RIM's playbook. I thought it said Apple's iOS & Android.

Also isn't the playbook more of a business product, with business apps and security features (even if the product is a year or two behind where it should be), and thus you would expect to pay more for productivity apps than fart sound apps?

Now I respect your point on the lack of playbook apps and apps which are on multiple systems costing more for playbook than the do on other systems and how that's a bit underhanded (but understandable given the much smaller market). But that's a bit like saying there isn't many commercial Amgia 4.0 programs and the ones that exist are more expensive than the Windows or OSX version.

Seriously people...if it makes you money, spend the $5 on the app. If you don't make enough money to cover the $5, you really didn't need it.

If your just wasting time playing a game ... did you enjoy it half as much as a movie or did you at least get $5 worth of joy our of it? If so, then you got your money's worth .. if not then you can b*tch and moan. But come on ... how cheap, not the right word but all I can think of, are you when $3 to $5 is outrageous for a program but you can drop $300+ on a phone.

G

this report is very misleading. the top 100 paid apps are constantly changing, and the total price could vary at any time. bullshit study paid for by Apple.

Sigh. Add this to the list of contradictory positions iOS proponents seem to obliviously stake out. First we had Apple's mobile products not being overpriced, yet Apple making the lion's share of the profit in the mobile industry. Now we have iOS users on average spending more money than Android users, yet Android apps "on average" cost more.

Fortunately, the statistical sleight of hand is pretty easy to spot here. They're comparing the average price of the most expensive 0.02% of apps. Not the average price of all the apps. Same for the top 10 and top 20 apps - obviously they're excluding free apps, which are prodigious in Android compared to iOS.

G

also...there is a vast differnce in the types of apps ios users download compared to android... ios users download more game type apps and android useres typically use more productivity apps... which are generally more expensive. Productivity apps on ios cost more than their gaming apps... same as with android. This study is like comparing apples and oranges and coming up with grapes.

sairasie

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Yeah they are expensive ,at the same time very powerfull to use it and its reliable and safe to use along with some good mobile security :) i has comodo mobile security on my android mobile and it acts best for my mobile ..
http://bit.ly/A34cXX

amdfreak

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
TOMSHARDWARE you made a typo mistake in the first paragraph under the heading

"more than more than"

more than is repeated 2x

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
[citation][nom]qhoa1385[/nom]because not all apps are from big greedy company? you wouldn't steal from an 8 years old's hard work would you?[/citation]
Yes, yes I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS