Android Malware Up 427 Percent Since July

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Android malware is nothing like Windows malware.

That virus that looks like Windows Explorer in your browser and then gives you an antivirus warning is about 2-3 years old now. Windows XP/Vista/7 still can't stop it. Antivirus still can't stop it. It's still a "drive by" virus, as you don't have to download and run the attachment to get the virus, you've got it as soon as you visited the site. Noscript is the only effective way to stop it on Windows. I'm sure that virus will still be viable in Windows 8/9/10, clearly that virus writer is a lot smarter than Microsoft and all of the AV companies put together.

Android malware requires you to review the rights the app is asking for, and then approve it. If you are too dumb to decline a fart soundboard that needs the ability to make phone calls and read your contacts, then you deserve what you are getting. There are still no "drive by" web viruses for Android.

G

Crapware doesn't know what he's talking about. If you get viruses, and especially if you can't fix them, it means you need an education or to know someone who has one in that area.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
going from 1 case of malware, to 5 cases is a 500% increase in malware.

I am assuming 1 case since they failed to include the original sample size.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]HELL YESS!!!! TAKE THAT ANDROID iOS will regain its marketshare REALLY soon!!!!!![/citation]
this guys a little weird..

G

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]I've never understood how people can get malware on their phones. Is it that hard to not download shitty apps?[/citation]
http://www.explosm.net/comics/2616/

G

If the app promising to show you the boobs of asian models asks for rights to connect to the internet and access your contacts, you should probably pass on downloading it.

This is not rocket science. No app can do anything you do not give it permission to do!

It's funny how all of these "Android Malware" articles pop-up just before the release of the most anticipated Android phone to date. Haters are going to Hate.

G

Thank you crapware. That was pretty much my assessment as well. I manage Windows computers at work but primarily use Linux for my own needs and my family uses a combo of Mac (wife) and Linux (kids). Our WinXp machine is ONLY for games offline. It isn't allowed out on the web - especially used by a child. This method has kept our computers virus free for years now.

At work the computers I manage stay virus free but I limit what people can do and I provide alternatives to Outlook and Internet Explorer. So far, so good. It is a rare day when I have to work on a virus on those computers. I help coworkers and clients with their personal virus ridden computers as well. It's amazing what some people will click on. If it looks official and says there is a problem, a good number of them will click on it. Fortunately our key personnel have learned to call before they click and if they can't find me - save their docs and reboot.

G

That's the price of admission. Let them enjoy the party. You've never seen anyone drunk at a party before?

G

Well guess what. No one approves what software I can install on my PC either. Actually, G does a pretty good job by telling you what permissions an app needs to run. PC software doesn't even do that. I'll happily take my chances with Android. The app selections are so much better than iOS. Of course, if you need someone to hold your hand, then I suppose iOS is better for you...

G

Look at who is doing the freakin study....Juniper Networks. They are a security firm who has a an app available with their "affiliates" on the Android store. Of course their study is going to want to scare the crap out of Android users...it's good business.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]joeaverager[/nom]Thank you crapware. That was pretty much my assessment as well. I manage Windows computers at work but primarily use Linux for my own needs and my family uses a combo of Mac (wife) and Linux (kids). Our WinXp machine is ONLY for games offline. It isn't allowed out on the web - especially used by a child. This method has kept our computers virus free for years now.[/citation]
I went a different way, I have told my family what to look out for and when not to open things. I explained what may be dangerous and when to just close things and go away from a site, that along with Firefox and AdBlocker has kept the computers of my computer illiterate family clean for years, that includes my 10 year old nephew computer which is connected to the internet. You make it seem like just being on the net will infest a Windows computer with viruses, which is not true, it takes someone doing something STUPID to get viruses, most of those fake virus alert viruses actually have a popup you have to click YES to in order to install and most people will click yes cause no one has explained what to look out for, kind of like you didn't explain BTW. All you did was create more ignorant computer users who will fall victim to viruses once they stop using any system you locked down for them.

Yea they use Linux I saw that, but I can guarantee they will end up using a Windows PC eventually and your fear lack of teaching there will get them in trouble, remember ignorance is not protection. Teach them hot to avoid things like that and it won't happen.

G

iOS is still on top because of the way they screen apps, and their user base will only grow. I came across the site www.iphonedevreviews.com that helps you get your apps out on the app store even without programming. Got 3 apps out in the last month :).

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]HELL YESS!!!! TAKE THAT ANDROID iOS will regain its marketshare REALLY soon!!!!!![/citation]
Dude...it's just a phone OS, you make it sound like you are rooting for your favourite sports team.

Status
Not open for further replies.