Android Market Surpasses 100,000 Apps In Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

tu_illegalamigo

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Standards please! Possibly just the tiniest bit of screening as well? I like android, but I don`t like fragmentation and having to sift through BS to make sure i don`t get fragged.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tu_illegalamigo[/nom]Standards please! Possibly just the tiniest bit of screening as well? I like android, but I don`t like fragmentation and having to sift through BS to make sure i don`t get fragged.[/citation]

I'm gonna agree here, too many copycat apps out there and just plain junk on the android market

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Both Apple's and Android's stores have mostly junk. Apple's 300,000 just means you have more of it to sift through (how many fart apps do you need?) As far as fragmentation, who cares? I haven't had any problem learning the different interfaces of the different apps. If the interface is bad then uninstall it. Only the fittest apps will survive. If this frightens you, get a flip phone.

appolospb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
What happened to Androids domination and all the hype saying it would be surpassing iTunes in a short period of time for app quota. It looks like they are lagging behind as the article says it only took iTunes 16mths to get to 100k and has taken Android 20mths for the same result.

A prime example for why there will be more apps on iTunes is as follows. iTunes is more secure against copying than Android as the vast majoirty of Apple handsets cannot run cracked / copied applications unless they are jailbroken. Whereas on a Android system or Symbian you can install cracked apps very easily. As a software developer myself why would i develop software for a platform where i am more likely to have my hard earned work bootlegged.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The good and useful applications can generally be found on both shops with an equivalent quality (although I still miss a decent Pilotwiz equivalent on Android). Besides that, the 99,95% of remaining applications seem to have nothing more to offer than the first "Hello World" application that I write on a friend's C64 when I was 9 years old so who cares if there is 200,000 or 5 million of them ;-)

appolospb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
One example of a developer that left Symbian and other open platforms is TomTom. There software was bootlegged and run on tons of Nokia / Windows mobile phones. Due to this they moved to iOS as it was a more secure platform. I suspect issues like this is why so many developers are not jumping on the Android platform so far.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I think Apple still holds the record for fart apps (883 at final tally),

Anyways, are the iPhone apps that people want to download better or worse than their Android equivalents?

That's what decides what device I'll get.
If they are, then a new Android tagline should be this:

100,000 apps vs. 300,000 apps.
Quality or quantity?

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
People say quality vs quantity, but I have to say that quality generally sucks on both app stores. The amount of apps actually worth downloading on both stores is way lower than the quantity, but there's not really any way to measure the number of useful apps on app store vs market.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Between the 2 stores, 400,000 apps....Maybe 300 worth buying/loading.......[/citation]
I think saying 300 useful apps is generous.

G

What a waste of time!! 100000 300000 hell go for broke make 1000000000 apps, who cares, just a load of crock!

Just like owning every possible songs as mp3 you can, and have more music than you can listen to in your lifetime.

Personally, I like to get outdoors as much as i can¬ away from all this stupidness!

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Quality > quantity.Andoid Marketplace or App Store, there must be plenty of s***ty apps I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole in there.[/citation]

I hope the "farting apps" developers don't discriminate towards Android and bring their flatulent expertise respectively to the Android market as well.

bsbsbsbs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Who cares that there is so much junk? Android has an app called Appbrain, that does a great job of sifting out all the crap. The problem is too many people just sit there looking for Apps that do absolutely nothing for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.