Android Most Popular Mobile OS with New Buyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]nobodyshearing[/nom]aren't there some kind of international records? i mean blackberry is pretty much unknown here in switzerland...[/citation]

What are you talking about? Blackberry is very popular in Switzerland. You have to pay alot because its mainly for business people. They sell for 800 USD for the 9700.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
With Android picking up a lot of steam from new users and users switching from Blackberry or IOS it will be interesting to see what happens. Competition always seems to work out in the customers favor :)

drakennz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
Hi Tom's - I was wondering if you have a particular definition for a "smart phone"? Is every phone using the Android OS a smart phone? (btw I am a big fan of the Android OS, am just asking).

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]Drakennz[/nom]Hi Tom's - I was wondering if you have a particular definition for a "smart phone"? Is every phone using the Android OS a smart phone? (btw I am a big fan of the Android OS, am just asking).[/citation]

A physicist friend of mine, started calling them, smart ass phone because individuals pull it out to check something out over the internet to prove the other wrong.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
If things continue at this rate, you can get ready to change the headline to "Adroid most popular mobile OS [FULL STOP]"

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
"growth" is a relative term. Blackberry and IOS are not doing poorly, it's just that the pie is getting much bigger very fast, and google is eating most the new delicious pie. I'll also mention bacon in this post in hopes to get upvoted more. BACON.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]"growth" is a relative term. Blackberry and IOS are not doing poorly, it's just that the pie is getting much bigger very fast, and google is eating most the new delicious pie. I'll also mention bacon in this post in hopes to get upvoted more. BACON.[/citation]
Yes growth is a relative term. Android is just a big hungry pie eater. :D

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]A physicist friend of mine, started calling them, smart ass phone because individuals pull it out to check something out over the internet to prove the other wrong.[/citation]

Haha so true... and it's hard to resist when you've got the Internet in your pocket. :p

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]A physicist friend of mine, started calling them, smart ass phone because individuals pull it out to check something out over the internet to prove the other wrong.[/citation]

What would be funny... if they are proven right, because the smart ass pulls up an article by your friend :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I just got my first smart phone for a few days now. Android.

I don't like blackberry, I never liked them. Powerful, yes. Horrible interface. My guess, Steve Jobs was a blackberry owner and one day, threw it across the room and yell "MAKE ME A PHONE! So I stop killing employees, by accident!"

A friend of mine with a blackberry, played with my Android (Samsung Galaxy S class) for a few minutes. He's junking the blackberry in a week, he's sick of it. I then spent about 5 minutes fighting this stupid Blackberry device - and while it IS much better than the RIMs from 3-4 years ago, hate it.

Keep in mind, RIM has totally revamped their Mobile OS... MS threw away their last WMP in the trash. I think Android will surpass RIM & iPhone because it has so much steam and flexibility. Only 6~7 Blackberry models and a single iPhone style (color doesnt count) when Motorola will soon have 10 types of Androids (Some really cool stuff too), Samsung has at least 7 types, HTC is hitting around to 10.

Yep... Android is quite solid.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Unsure that I'd call the iphone gaining on the blackberry. The iPhone dropped 1% and gained nothing to the blackberry... however the blackberry fell which closes the gap, but it's not a gain.. the difference is filtering into android which the chart shows IS gaining.

I think it's not totally unfair to say that we have 3 market segments here (albeit with SOME overlap). There are those who buy only blackberry (businesses mostly), those who buy only iphones and then everyone else... Of "everyone else" the OS that works best for them is android... because it feels like a computer they carry around with them...

Very rarely do I see a blackberry user who's not using it for biz.. and even more rare do I see an iphone user who actually compared other phones before they purchased... Android users seem to shop around a bit before settling on their phone.. and in the end they are usually deciding between multiple phones all using android.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it is sad to see palm not even in the running *pours diet mountain dew on the ground* i dedicate this to all my past palmies

but yet i think android has a broader appeal than apple or RIM ... that said i don't think they will convert buisnesses away from blackberry and zealots from apply products.

on a side ntoe... when is there gonna be an android phone for virgin mobile >_< my wife wants one but there just hasn't been anything.. good price crappy phoneswhen they get either a new palm or a android i fully plan to jump ship to virgin.. till then me and sprint be alright :D

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
We'll see what happens with these numbers now that the iPhone is coming to Verizon. Competition is heating up--two new phone OS choices coming to my provider next year.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Poor old Symbian shit and poor old Nokia. Even my father an avid Nokia owner for ages is now considering Android and the Galaxy S.
He isn't in a big need for a new phone so I have advised him to wait for Android 3.0 to come out. I hope that the newer devices won't be that expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS