Android Smartphones Overtake iPhone in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest

Guest
"Smartphones currently account for 25 percent of the U.S. smartphone market"

What makes up the remaining 75% of the smartphone market, if not smartphones? Cleverphones?
 

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
24
0
18,560
0
Hell yeah, it's about time! Now if only google can improve on the android market international payments option..........
 

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Smartphone25[/nom]"Smartphones currently account for 25 percent of the U.S. smartphone market"What makes up the remaining 75% of the smartphone market, if not smartphones? Cleverphones?[/citation]
I think it should be : Smartphones currently account for 25 percent of the U.S. cellphone market
 

desidude006

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
1
0
18,510
0
no duh... android phones will overtake iphone sales. The android OS is on over a dozen phone. While the iphone OS is obviously exclusive to the iphone.
 

wardy22

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
10
0
18,560
0
Breaking news: the combined clientele of Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile is actually more than AT&T?
 

tehmoonrulz

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
10
0
18,560
0
[citation][nom]desidude006[/nom]no duh... android phones will overtake iphone sales. The android OS is on over a dozen phone. While the iphone OS is obviously exclusive to the iphone.[/citation]
[citation][nom]wardy22[/nom]Breaking news: the combined clientele of Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile is actually more than AT&T?[/citation]
This
 

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
66
0
18,580
0
[citation][nom]desidude006[/nom]no duh... android phones will overtake iphone sales. The android OS is on over a dozen phone. While the iphone OS is obviously exclusive to the iphone.[/citation]

[citation][nom]wardy22[/nom]Breaking news: the combined clientele of Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile is actually more than AT&T?[/citation]

[citation][nom]tehmoonrulz[/nom]This[/citation]

Pretty sure you're all missing the actual interesting information here. Like you said, the user base of these companies hasn't fluctuated over this graph much, right? So, why then, aren't the OS lines straight across, if they are going exactly by clientele numbers? Exactly. Like the article states, it's the trends we're interested in. As in, pay attention in particular to the black and green lines, and how they relate. It's about emerging technologies and adoption / adoption rates.

Critical analysis ftw.
 

SASKEL

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
5
0
18,510
0
I remember someone told me it'll never happen, Apple would rule the school..well, I was right then and now, and soon Android will have more apps
 

wardy22

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
10
0
18,560
0
[citation][nom]SASKEL[/nom]I remember someone told me it'll never happen, Apple would rule the school..well, I was right then and now, and soon Android will have more apps[/citation]


in my opinion i would have to wait and see the at&t android numbers. if, hypothetically, the iphone were offered to all companies I'm sure the results would be much different.
 

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
66
0
18,580
0
[citation][nom]desidude006[/nom]no duh... android phones will overtake iphone sales. The android OS is on over a dozen phone. While the iphone OS is obviously exclusive to the iphone.[/citation]
Around 100 handsets actually, but that isn't the point. The point is Apple is losing some of their marketshare to Android. Having just recently converted to Android, I can see why, it is just so customizable compared to Apple and not as locked down.
 

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
599
0
18,930
0
whats with people voteing down those who say this is because of the choice of handset?? it IS because of the choice of handset!! its one of Android's greatest strengths! its not just about choice in software, but in hardware as well! it is why Apple is ALWAYS destined to minority market share! same as in the PC world.
 

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
92
0
18,580
0
Interesting news right after how Jobs touted the sales of the iPhone and how apple (rather Foxconn) couldn't keep up with demand. So where are all these iPhone 4G phones going to? The already locked in AT&T customers. Explains how are they selling record numbers and yet the iphoneOS is on a downward trend.
 

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
952
0
18,930
0
[citation][nom]Smartphone25[/nom]"Smartphones currently account for 25 percent of the U.S. smartphone market"What makes up the remaining 75% of the smartphone market, if not smartphones? Cleverphones?[/citation]
Um no...it's actually...
Smartphones currently account for 25 percent of the U.S. cell phone market
Meaning the other 75% are just plain cell phones. They ain't that smart. In terms of features than calling, they might be able to handle texting but that's about it.
 

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
390
0
18,930
0
[citation][nom]wardy22[/nom]in my opinion i would have to wait and see the at&t android numbers. if, hypothetically, the iphone were offered to all companies I'm sure the results would be much different.[/citation]

You honestly believe people wanting an iPhone wouldn't buy it because of the carrier? Come on...

Android has simply shown to be a better OS in every way: it's open source, it covers every end of the market, rather than just the high end, its phones have the best hardware specs in every market segment, including the iPhone range, there are at least as much apps, the development cycle for updates is far shorter and the user has much more freedom (Flash anyone?)
 

kamakazedman2142

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
7
0
18,510
0
Iphone has the best useability. No one has mentioned that. Which I think is a very important factor. Undespited. Anyone can pick up an Iphone with basic mobile phone skills and use it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Streaming Video & TVs 5
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 0
G Streaming Video & TVs 7
G Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
G Streaming Video & TVs 5
G Streaming Video & TVs 3
Z Streaming Video & TVs 10
Z Streaming Video & TVs 14
Z Streaming Video & TVs 24
Z Streaming Video & TVs 23
G Streaming Video & TVs 11
G Streaming Video & TVs 21
Marcus Yam Streaming Video & TVs 18
tuanmai Streaming Video & TVs 20
exfileme Streaming Video & TVs 11
G Streaming Video & TVs 21
G Streaming Video & TVs 10

ASK THE COMMUNITY