Android Tablets May be Soon Sold From Google Online Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I see what they are trying to do, a low budget but pretty decent tablet that runs Android to better compete against the Kindle and since Apple is nonexistent in this range it makes sense to try to capture it. I do question if it is the right move as other tablet manufactures that use Android as the OS may not be too happy about it. With such a costly purchase of Motorola Mobility Holdings it certainly isn't something they will just encourage and then bow out of once the Android using companies follow suit. I believe they should have just made incentives for the manufacturers to do this in the first place rather than competing directly with them.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
If Google really wants to increase it's market share, it should just develop a platform independent distro like all the other linux distros, that can be loaded onto various hardware. Then hardware builders can just build generic tablets that simply let users load an os just like windows, linux, bsd.

Further make the tablets modular like a notebook, with socketed cpus, memory, flash, etc. load the os via bootable usb.

Just look over at XDA how many hoops people jump through to get android onto a nook color or a touchpad. If it was easier to load android onto hardware I think people would be happy to jump on board.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]If Google really wants to increase it's market share, it should just develop a platform independent distro like all the other linux distros, that can be loaded onto various hardware. Then hardware builders can just build generic tablets that simply let users load an os just like windows, linux, bsd.Further make the tablets modular like a notebook, with socketed cpus, memory, flash, etc. load the os via bootable usb.Just look over at XDA how many hoops people jump through to get android onto a nook color or a touchpad. If it was easier to load android onto hardware I think people would be happy to jump on board.[/citation]

Problem with your approach would be size, weight, and power and cooling. It would essentially place desktop rules on a tablet and people would quickly just go back to a laptop. These devices are content consumption devices. The only people that load Android on a Non android device are 1) people who really like Android or 2) enthusiasts which is a very small portion of the base that you want to sell to.

Ever noticed how big a enthusiast focused company gets. They always stay small. Even if they get acquired by a larger company like Alienware and VoodooPC did they almost completely loose what made them cool to begin with. I was a huge fan of VoodooPC stuff back when they where private. Look at them now.....the blackbird....really?

jusi0412

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Then hardware builders can just build generic tablets that simply let users load an os just like windows, linux, bsd.
g.gif

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jusi0412[/nom]Then hardware builders can just build generic tablets that simply let users load an os just like windows, linux, bsd.[/citation]

98% of the users out there just want a trouble free system. No one wants to load their own OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.