Android Tablets Will Overtake iPad by 2015, Say Analysts

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

both apple and android could flounder within months if someone came to market with a truly open product, not walled garden or obsessively concerned with ongoing revenue milking.

What we need is basically an IBM-PC of handsets launching, and I'm pretty sure something like that will happen before 2016.

Forecasting 2016 sales based on todays products is just hocus-pocus.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]This analysis is tremendously under-rating Windows 8 tablets.[/citation]I was thinking that exactly.
I love my TF201, but I think the W8 tabs are going to a more direct competitor to the iStuff. I don't foresee a time when Android tablets are going to be as "idiot-proof" as iPads are and (as a WP7 owner) the upcoming W8 tablets will be.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
^To add to that, my 4 year old has mastered my iPad touch and is pretty good with my Windows Phone, but she has a hard time with my Prime.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
In other news, Analitics employee's at IDC were fired en mass after publishing this.

I have much more faith in Windows 8 overtaking IOS and Android tablets, as only power users/enthusiasts/professionals will still need the power of a desktop. An asus transformer style windows 8 tablet = win!

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
With Windows 8 still essentially closed, I am not so confident in the predictions that its tablet form will overtake all other tablets.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If they can be managed like any other Windows computer, Windows 8 tablets will start to crush the others in the enterprise. Mobile deice management in it's current state just plain blows. Using AD and SCCM to manage tablets would be awesome!

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Apple = Mac, Android = DOS, Windows 8 = Windows, seems as things change things stay the same, MAC was the OS of PC's until DOS and Windows took over, same here, people will stick to what they know, W 8 or 9 will be the tablet OS of choice.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I'm confident MS will screw this up some how. Sorry guys, I'm not seeing the appeal of W8 at all especially in the mobile market. Android is turning into a nice solid OS and is steadily gain a fan base. I really like my ICS Xoom.

Only way W8 has a chance is if the provide Office suite for W8 tablets.

With W8 preview receiving mixed reviews at best, why would anyone be compelled to buy a W8 mobile device?

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Love it...these pundits are about as accurate as weather prognosticators, or even the soothsayers of yore. I wonder which small animal they killed so they could read the entrails and make their predictions...

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Once Office is available for iPad and Win8 it will be the end of Android tablets for most schools and businesses.

Personally I think that most analysts will be blown away at the Win8 tablet sales. I know win8 is not the best thing we were hoping for on the desktop, but on my touch screen netbook it is the best thing sense sliced bread. And screw the ARM based stripped down stuff, people want cheap x86 tablets with HD2000 or better graphics.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Android tablets will dominate over both iOS and windows tablets in all market segments. I do think it will take the enterprise markets sometime to pull away from MS due to MS deep roots in today's IT culture. If MS is successful in swaying the public's perception of the desktop/cloud market to their favor, they may stand a fighting chance. That's a BIG IF however.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
For once the headline is believable. I could see Android Tablets overtaking the iPad (original) by 2015!

Have they even made it up to that sales mark yet, even with the Amazon Kindle Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.