Android's First SMS-Based Trojan Rears its Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This sort of thing is one of the small downsides to the open marketplace.

I wish we could get a middle ground between Apple trying to restrict the kind of apps you can have and Google not restricting anything at all. I like the app-store admission process that Apple has but I wish the only function it served was weeding out malware and viruses. That would be perfect in my opinion.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]derrick1985[/nom]Apple +1, Google 0[/citation]
Uh, no. This said you have to install it, which means if you leave your default security settings on, its not going to be installable. Now, if you have unlocked your phone (which Google is kind enough to let you do), or if you rooted it, well, hopefully you're smart enough not to install a virus.

Still, I'll take the option to install the apps I want to over Apple's "we know better than you" approach any day.

eaw2539

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Uh, no. This said you have to install it, which means if you leave your default security settings on, its not going to be installable. Now, if you have unlocked your phone (which Google is kind enough to let you do), or if you rooted it, well, hopefully you're smart enough not to install a virus.Still, I'll take the option to install the apps I want to over Apple's "we know better than you" approach any day.[/citation]

Uh, yes. You can jailbreak an iPhone which gives you the precious access and freedom you claim to be exclusive to the Android platform. It's just an added bonus that there are no viruses (at least widespread ones) for the iPhone. I still recommend common sense and caution when dealing with files from unknown sources, I'm just pointing that out.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Wow, my iPhone is soooo much safer than Google Android! Ooh, I got a message!

*opens SMS from Charlie Miller*...

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

(for those who don't know who Charlie Miller is, he's the champ who annoyed Apple by exploiting a now-patched security hole in the iPhone http://www.nowpublic.com/tech-biz/iphone-sms-mobile-hack-privacy-infringement. He also took the Macbook Air in 2mins flat at pwn2own last year, the first OS to fall).

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]derrick1985[/nom]Apple +1, Google 0[/citation]

lol, remember Apple's already had an SMS exploit? and the built in safari browser recently had an exploit discovered too.... all because Apple are soo arrogant that they think they are perfect, and hence don't need to put their own first party apps in the same security sandbox as third party apps.

news flash Apple: you SUCK at making software.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Bare in mind that this "virus" will only work if you are stupid enough to install a media player application that requests permission to send sms's.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Damn. The era of safe mobile computing is over, it seems.[/citation]
That was to be expected. People are using the phone more and more to do more than just calls. Like accessing bank accounts, and so forth. So sooner or latter hackers will shift some of their attention from desktops to phones.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Wow...someone has decided to write a virus for Android..
YEAH! Finally...I can get a virus for my HTC Desire!
Hmmmm....somethin' came into my mind....
you write antiviruses to defend against viruses or you write viruses to make poeple to buy anti viruses?

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
So did this thing do anything bad other than run up the users bill with premium SMS messages? seems like this is just to piss people off instead of pulling their information for identity theft or anything truly malicious. Also from some others comments this thing can only work if you have blown the security your android phone comes with by default, then anyone who has this Trojan deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.