Annoying display Flickering ...

Snanahmd

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
Hi ...
I recently bought a 17" Dell Inspiron 7737 with tochscreen laptop ...
Specs:
i7 4th generation
16 GB ram
1 TB HDD
intel HD 4400
2 GB Nvidia GT 750M GDDR5
Win 8.1 Pro

The problem i am having is the right side of my Screen (almost 1/4 of the screen) dims ocassionally ...
it got me worried so i started searching ...
i did some research and experiments ...
did all the adaptive brightness, intel power saving etc tweaks ...
after all the research i tried removing my (latest) HD 4400 graphics drivers ...
so laptop switched to microsoft basic display drivers and the problem was gone ....
i re-installed the drivers and the problem was back again ... i installed a previous version of the driver and the problem stopped for some time but was back again shortly :(
so i disabled my HD graphics drivers and the dimming is gone ...
any idea ?? possible solution ??

I would also like to mention that this flickering only happens when the laptop is running on battery power ... it disappears when i plug in the charger ...

Solution
You said you just bought it, right? Was the problem present when you first used it? If so, why didn't you simply return it or call for Warranty Service?

Wait.. I did some reading and found someone else who had a similar problem like yours. I will send you the link... perhaps his solution will fix your problem:

http://denis.doublebuffer.net/lablog/2012/11/19/fixing-the-screen-flickering-on-a-dell-inspiron-n5720-and-maybe-many-others/

Snanahmd

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

did all that ...
nothing works in plan settings ... only disabling or removing intel HD 4400 drivers work but that isn't the ideal solution

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
You said you just bought it, right? Was the problem present when you first used it? If so, why didn't you simply return it or call for Warranty Service?

Wait.. I did some reading and found someone else who had a similar problem like yours. I will send you the link... perhaps his solution will fix your problem:

http://denis.doublebuffer.net/lablog/2012/11/19/fixing-the-screen-flickering-on-a-dell-inspiron-n5720-and-maybe-many-others/

Solution

Snanahmd

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

no it wasn't present that time ... laptop came with windows 8 ... i did a clean install of windows 8.1 pro and since then this flickering is happening when i install the intel HD graphics driver ...
another thing is that the BIOS on my laptop are ancient ... BIOS version installed is A05 while latest on Dell's website for my laptop is A12 ... can that cause any issue ?? i thought about updating but its a risky thing to do so i try to avoid it ...

Thank you for your effort i'll try the solution suggested and get back to you :)

Snanahmd

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

Thank you For you effort ...
this seems to have resolved the issue for me :)
i've been using the laptop for 5-6 hours now and the flickering is gone ...
i've also restarted, turned off and resumed from sleep mode but the issue is not there anymore :)
Thank you again for your effort and time ...

cheers

Jun 20, 2018
Hi, this seems a little outdated, but I'm having the same issues with my Win10 but the link is no longer available. Can anyone please outline the solution from the link?
Thank you

Jul 20, 2018
Hi, I have the same issue with my laptop but the link you provided is outdated. Please send the new link or the solution in another form. Thanks