Annoying windows defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

mellakarela

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
I own HP laptop with installed windows 10. I want to install bit defender antivirus in my laptop but I already have windows defender in it.
Is it wise to remain both antivirus in my windows or should I uninstall one of them?
If I should remove one of then, I will uninstall windows defender, but don't know how.
Need help to uninstall windows defender.

Solution
Best advice I can give is to go ahead and install Bitdefender, then check to see if Windows Defender has been turned off/disabled. If it has, well nothing to worry about. If it hasn't, add your next post to this thread, but I'm almost sure you'll find that Bitdefender has been disabled automatically.
It's my understanding that on Windows 10, Windows Defender will automatically disable itself if a third-party AV is detected, but I couldn't swear to it.

FYI, Windows 10 is the only OS on which I haven't installed a third-party AV because Windows Defender is doing such a good job on it's own -- I have no desire to install stuff just for it to use more system resources unnecessarily.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
It's generally the case that Windows 10 will disable built-in basic protection when you install 3rd party antivirus. It's generally not a good idea to run multiple active scanning programs at once, due to how AV works (unless you have a specific or special configuration)

If you have any questions about Avast, let us know!

mellakarela

Prominent
Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for your honest answers. I don't want to run both at same time. I prefer bit defender and want to activate it and deactivate windows defender. Is there any way to disable windows defender permanently?

Best advice I can give is to go ahead and install Bitdefender, then check to see if Windows Defender has been turned off/disabled. If it has, well nothing to worry about. If it hasn't, add your next post to this thread, but I'm almost sure you'll find that Bitdefender has been disabled automatically.

Solution

Traditore

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Short answer Defender is automatically suspended when 3rd party AV is installed. It is not easy to uninstall Defender and Microsoft made sure to allow you to use other antivirus without issues. You should leave everything as it is, leave Bitdefender installed and working, while Windows Defender will not intrude.

On endpoints and devices that are protected with a non-Microsoft antivirus or antimalware app, Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically disable itself. You can choose to enable an optional, limited protection feature, called limited periodic scanning.

When enabled, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your PC for threats and remediate them. These periodic scans will utilize Automatic Maintenance—to ensure the system chooses optimal times based on minimal impact to the user, PC performance, and energy efficiency—or customers can schedule these scans. Limited Periodic Scanning is intended to offer an additional line of defense to your existing antivirus program’s real-time protection.

If you are also using Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, then Windows Defender AV will enter a passive mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.